Moderator: minetymenace

lathejack
>180
>180
Has thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Buying a new Amal carb, well trying to!

Post by lathejack » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:53 pm

Has anyone else experienced a very long wait for a new Amal Concentric carb, when ordering direct from Amal, or should that be Berlen.

About three or four months ago I orderd a new 28mm Premier Concentric carb for a 69 B25, but despite the chaps on the phone being pleasant and helpful, it is a bit like ordering into a black hole of nothingness.

They did say they didn't have any 28mm bodies and are waiting for these from their supplier, so it might not be ready until the end of October, or November, or maybe December. I sometimes wonder if they are waiting for parts, or waiting for enough customer orders before then ordering the parts, which is fair enough.

I dismantled a new Premier Concentric a few months ago, and it looked a better quality item than the older design Concentric, which the local dealer has a stack of, while trying to tell me that the Premier is a load of rubbish. Well he would say that wouldn't he? With a load of the older type to shift.

Apart from still using a tickler button to flood the carb, I like the Premier Amal. But I have also been looking at the Mikuni type carbs as well, which seem to be easily available.

So is such a long wait from Amal, or Berlen, common, or is the 28mm size just awkward?
Last edited by lathejack on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

packw
>320
>320
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Buying a new Amal carb, well trying to!

Post by packw » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:15 pm

Lathejack,
Try Surrey Cycles instead for your Amal carb. They are competent and quick.
Cheers
Bill