UK Registration, Age Related Plates and "Q" Plates

Just some fun to show. Links, pics or movies.

Moderator: minetymenace

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

UK Registration, Age Related Plates and "Q" Plates

Post by minetymenace » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:18 pm

This may be of interest to UK members:

My question to the DVLA:

I am restoring an old motorcycle, and want to know if I will end up with a Q plate or an age related plate?

Their reply:
A “Q” mark is allocated to a vehicle where the age of the vehicle is not known, or when the vehicle is re-built, or radically altered. Once a “Q” mark is allocated to a vehicle, that registration mark must remain with the vehicle until it is scrapped or permanently exported.

From August 1983, vehicles which are not new at first licensing and registration i.e. used imported vehicles, rebuilt, radically altered, ex-service and vehicles used on agricultural land only, documentary evidence proving the age of the vehicle, must be produced in order to obtain an age related mark. When there is insufficient evidence, a Q mark is allocated. It is made clear to the keeper at the time of registering.

However, the department may consider the allocation of an age related mark if acceptable documentary evidence is produced at a later date. This evidence should be submitted to your nearest DVLA office (LO) for their consideration.Unfortunately, Q registration marks cannot take part in the Cherished Transfer scheme.

For more information and details of the local office addresses, please see our website below.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/motoring

Grouty
>640
>640
Has thanked: 0

Post by Grouty » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:34 pm

Thanks Gerry,
I spoke to our local DVLA a while back and they told me the same. I have a '78 Husky 390WR on a Q plate and want to return it to the correct age related letter.
They told me to bring proof of age (I have loads of that) and bring the bike.
Many insurance companies are now refusing to insure Q plated bikes !
Another nail in the coffin for bikers :cry:
How is the MFI Guzzi coming along ?

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Post by minetymenace » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:10 am

The Guzzi was supposed to be ready last Friday, but its not. I think that it may be being held up because I asked them to sort out the timing chain (so sloppy I couldn't do the nishers properly), I asked them to change it to gears (winter bike, low maintenance) and as I have the Haha 1000 to ride around on at the miopic bint's insurance's expence, why not? Really miss the torque, and want my bike back (but will miss the wheelie potential).

Hopefully bike back Thursday, but working over Easter.....