Womans Breasts

Just some fun to show. Links, pics or movies.

Moderator: minetymenace

HPbyStan
>1400
>1400
Flag: United States of America

Womans Breasts

Post by HPbyStan » Fri May 13, 2005 7:29 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this. As I'm planning to go to Australia and New Zealand in November, I thought it would be a good idea to buy a book on OZ as I haven't been there yet. To my surprise it turns out the capital of Australia is Womans Breasts. No lie, the book says in the Native language, Canberra is Womans Breasts. Interesting book to say the least ;-)

roadplough
<1100
<1100
Has thanked: 0

Post by roadplough » Sat May 14, 2005 12:59 am

That's news to me, they keep us in the dark down here you know.
Except at the beach.
It makes sense though, further down is "the map of Tassie". Tasmania is a distinctive shape and very bushy but in keeping with contemporary fashion it's rapidly becoming denuded. (woodchips to Japan).

In my book of Aboriginal place names it says:
"Canberra from nganbirra, a meeting place.
In 1826 Joshua Moore wrote to the Colonial Secretary advising that the land which he intended purchasing was at Canberry, and the deed was issued to him at this place.
Other conjectures are that the name comes from kaamberra, and that this or nganbirra mean a woman's breasts."

For a change, it makes me proud to be an Aussie :grin:
What about you Canberra?

HPbyStan
>1400
>1400

Post by HPbyStan » Sat May 14, 2005 8:29 pm

;-) Just because I read it in a book doesn't make it a fact. To show you I didn't make it up though, the book is "Insight Guides" Australia. ISBN # 981-234-799-2 $24.95 USD page 183.

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Post by minetymenace » Sun May 15, 2005 12:20 am

I have a cousin in the Outback, who came to vist us in Blighty a few years ago, he couldn't keep his eyes off my wife's Canberras. I guess Sheila's Canberras are rear as Dodo's doodoos down under :grin:

Canberra
>1200
>1200
Flag: Australia

Canberra

Post by Canberra » Mon May 16, 2005 4:02 am

Canberra - womans breasts. I will have to look into this one and do a survey but the following off a Canberra web site may clarify.

There is no "official" pronunciation of the word Canberra, but most Australians say "Can-bruh." A minority, however, say "Can-buh-ruh." This is to some extent a class-based difference. The pronunciation "Can-berr-a," often used by non-Australians, is definitely incorrect.

The word Canberra is believed to mean "meeting place" in the Ngunnawal language, though some accounts say that it means "women's breasts", a reference to Mt Ainslie and Black Mountain, two landmarks in the central Canberra area. The name was apparently used in relation to the Molonglo River which, along with the Murrumbidgee River, flows through Canberra.

Ngunnawal is the local indigenous population's language. There is debate on whether the name has one or two "ns" in it as it has different conotation either way.

John

roadplough
<1100
<1100

Post by roadplough » Mon May 16, 2005 11:03 am

I have another explanation;
"cans" is strine (Australian) for "jugs". But at the time, unlike beer-jugs, bare jugs in public were frowned upon so a "bra" was added.
The sophisticated upper class of course pronounced bra as berah which mockingly translated to lower-class speak as berra.
So we've ended up with Canberra..

Certainly canberras (note the small c ) are not lined up by outback roadsides as prolifically as I'd like but they're not so rare in the bush where I am.
Just a few properties away there's a woman who gardens topless.
Sometimes bottomless too. Her name is Sydney :roll:

Peter
>100
>100
Been thanked: 0

Post by Peter » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:03 pm

Irrespective of the womans breast stuff!! If you heading this way and need a bed in Sydney you are most welcome here. We do a good steak and a fine red! What is bringing you to this art of the world?

Peter

HPbyStan
>1400
>1400

womans breasts

Post by HPbyStan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:38 pm

Hi Peter and thank you. I also hang out at the www.flattrack.com forum and Graeme Boyd, of Newcastle, posted there that Ivan Mauger was promoting a dirt oval race in New Plymouth, NZ on 5 Nov '05 and some American racers were going to be there. As I have friends in Wanganui, About 100 miles from New Plymouth, that will house me I posted back that I'd like to go to that as I haven't been to NZ since our winter of '01-'02. Graeme posted back that he would meet me there but I'd "have" to come to Sydney for events on the 18-20 wknd. That's what caused me to buy the book on OZ as I've never been there. I don't know how long I'll spend down under and I need to figure that out for buying plane tickets. It seems one can't get into either country without already having a paid ticket back out. I checked plane fares from Palmerston North to Sydney and back and I thought they were quite reasonable till I turned the page and saw the taxs and fees were like twice that amount. Do you guys have a tax rate like that or should I look into buying trans Tasman tickets from your side? Regards, Stan

Peter
>100
>100
Been thanked: 0

Post by Peter » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:02 am

Stan

You will be able to buy tickets on the ground here. If you let me know when and where you are going I will have a look at any advance purchases thru the travel agent we use here.

Taxes are unavoidable no matter where the ticket is bought? You may be better off with a round the world ticket as the airlines do these at a good deal. Try United as they also give good baggage allowances.

Let me know your dates and i will have a look for you. i am a bit frantic this week so it may take me a few days to come back.