Can anyone confirm this?

Just some fun to show. Links, pics or movies.

Moderator: minetymenace

jime
>180
>180
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Flag: United States of America

Can anyone confirm this?

Post by jime » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:36 am

Good evening gents,
In the May issue of Classic Bike Guide there is a picture page of a certain Jeff Smith, listed as a "former double wold champion" doing a wheel stand on what the caption identifies as a B50 Victor. It however, gives the year of the photo as 1968. Should I assume that there is a missprint of the year or the model? From the angle it is hard to tell alot about the bike, but it is clear that there is no comical hub on the front. I'm far from an expert on the T or MX versions of our bikes, but I still thought they all had one form or another of the conical hub all be it smaller than the SS. I'm not sure if any of you in the UK subscribe but I'd be interested on your thoughts. Maybe this is a really early comp shop prototype, or the maybe the mag is just wrong.
Cheers!
JIM

steve m
>1400
>1400

Re: Can anyone confirm this?

Post by steve m » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 am

haven't seen the mag yet but in '68 the works victors were out to the final size of 84mm X 90mm, 499cc. not sure that it would be correct to call them "B50" 's. Victors, yes. victor GP maybe. bore was chromed, frame was oil bearing but had the old bends, same as GP.
a couple of months ago Bob Heath was out here and he spoke at our local BSA owners club meeting. he told us that he roadraced the B50 in 1970 (lucky man).
don't know, do factory bikes take on the production designation before release? or are they just "works models" and so Bob's bike might have been called the "P34" roadracer?

steve

b50root
Site Admin
Site Admin
Flag: Scania Sweden

Post by b50root » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Bob Heath´s Works B50. <049 <049

Does he lives in AU?

Rickard
nebrer on EBAY
nebrer at skype ( http://www.skype.com )

steve m
>1400
>1400

Post by steve m » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:05 am

hi Rickard,
i don't think he does :(
i have seen pictures of the roadracer with normal fins and staggered fins (the pic you have posted looks like staggered fins?)
the MX bike that JB and the other works riders were riding just before the comp shop closed in 1971 also had staggered fins (like the CCM's).
i used to have a pic of the works r/racer with Doug Hele squatting beside it (with a big smile on his face, if i remember) and at that stage it appeared to have an inlet manifold identical to the one on a thruxton Velo, still with a GP Amal stuck on the end.

steve

Costa
>160
>160
Flag: Greece

Post by Costa » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:15 am

Is this the picture?

Jeff Smith landing his BSA at Farleigh, in the 1967 British MX Grand Prix.

Costa

jime
>180
>180
Flag: United States of America

Post by jime » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:05 am

Costa,
The pix in the magazine is taken head on as Smith lands the bike so it's like a 90 degree difference from the one you posted. It also says it's a '68 bike. However it is apparent thatSmith liked to get his BSAs airborne. I like how the back tire looks in your pix. It says to me that this is not just another "wheelie" but in fact someone that got serious air and stuck the landing perfectly. If I can figure out how to scan the pix out of the mag and post it I will.
JIM

Costa
>160
>160
Flag: Greece

Post by Costa » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:12 am

Jim:

Look closer, and you can see the swing arm and the brake rod bending! It's the kind of landing that would have stuff dropping out of the overhead compartments on your Airbus!

chucksy
>220
>220
Flag: Great Britain

Post by chucksy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Costa,i don,t think the swingarm is bending,it,s a photographic illusion as the arm is nar row at the front tapering out at the rear spindle ,also the damper being virtually above the wheel spindle gives very little leverage ratio to create a bending effect.But it,s one hell of a picture of our meastro.