Bike history

Just some fun to show. Links, pics or movies.

Moderator: minetymenace

Jack Gifford
>540
>540
Has thanked: 0
Flag: United States of America

Bike history

Post by Jack Gifford » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:03 am

I tried to list all the bikes I've had (and called it a 'motley' group) but ran out of space in my signature line.

As a younger man, back in '58, I built a tiny minibike- water pipe bent into a 'U' as a frame, with a bicycle steering head/shortened fork/bars/frame down-tube, parts from a junked walk-behind reel mower (B&S engine, wheels, tires, chain, sprockets), and miscellaneous stuff (piece of pipe on the bars rigged as twistgrip throttle, scrap of wood for a seat, etc.). I cobbled up a jackshaft to result in something like 13:1 ratio to the rear wheel- enough so it was impossible to stall the engine. But I couldn't come up with a compact zero-cost clutch, so starting consisted of holding the rear wheel off the ground while pulling the rope start cord- then simply sitting down on it! My buddies and I had a lot of fun with it- both on sidewalks in the village and flat-tracking it in a field (about a 30 foot diameter circle!). It was small and light enough to stash ahead of the rear seat of my beat-up '53 Dodge four-door.

[I should give credit where due- especially to the now-deceased farmer/friend who let me use his arc welder and torches- Thanks Milt!]
"Motley" bike history: Horex 400, 1940 HD 45 FH, HD Baja 100, '49 Indian Scout 440, Victor 441 Roadster, H*nda TL125, Guzzi V50, H*nda FT500, 400-4, NX250
Aside from bikes: known as the "guru" of M/T hemi Pontiacs

steve m
>1400
>1400
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bike history

Post by steve m » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:00 am

nice story, thank you Jack, :cool:
i guess somewhere out there people are still putting B&S engines into bent tubing thingo's.

steve

skippy
>1400
>1400
Flag: Australia

Re: Bike history

Post by skippy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:31 am

I've got a collection of 50s stationary engine you can make up some pipe frames for if you get bored, I am sure it would be fun to ride :laugh
Doug
Should never have sold them old motorbikes