Here we can talk about the P92

Moderator: minetymenace

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Not sure If this is relevant P55?

Post by minetymenace »

Calssic bike July 1990

Built around an intriguing dohc four valve short stroke experimental unit from 1967.
Proto type.JPG
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
B44Claus
>240
>240

Re: Not sure If this is relevant P55?

Post by B44Claus »

Hello guys,

Too Is this the P55 project? It looks very similar to the engine in the BSA race bike that appears in Angus Campbells video from a 2019 race meeting at Cadwell Park:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LKkbw-mSck

The bike features twice in the footage, - at approx. 15 min and 19 min.
Apparently its not a reworked unit singles engine as it has a separate gearbox.
In this picture from the video you clearly see the DOHC drive with toothed belt and the cambox with the BSA logo on it:
BSA P55.JPG
He mentions the owner as John Stephens who is also referred to in Gerry's post so I assume it's the same engine/bike.
In Angus' video it's also mentioned that the engine was designed by Edward Turner but to my knowledge he was retired from BSA/Triumph by then.

Can anyone shed some more light on this project? What was this engine intended for and were there more engines built than just this one?

In the P92 topics some BSA drawings have been found are there any drawings of the P55 among those?

Thanks,
Claus
B44Claus
SteveS
>680
>680

Post by SteveS »

Hi Claus

During the film Angus does state that the owner calls the engine P55. I've not seen reference to this engine before.

With reference to Edward Turner you are correct that by 1967 Turner had set up his own consultancy company, ETED, Edward Turner Engineering Developments (?). I do not have any drawings of anything designated P55 but there are a few drawings of ETED1 and ETED2 drawn by R L Cadden, P L Mills, S McGuigan and JET etc. All the drawings are dated from June 1967 to October 1968.
ETED Drawings
ETED Drawings
Steve Sewell
Momus
>220
>220

Post by Momus »

Claus's photo shows 2 cam top end that to me is reminiscent of the Lotus Twin Cam.

If indeed it is probably a fair thing to copy back then being capable of around 100 hp per litre.

A lot easier to execute than the 4 valve Cosworths that had made their appearance by then.
If you love it, lube it.
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

ETED1 looks like a twin (180 degree crank?), you may be able to discern something from the timing side gasket shapes which might give an indication of DOHC....
B44Claus
>240
>240

Post by B44Claus »

Here's another picture from Angus' video showing the left side of the cylinder head:
P55left.JPG
It looks identical to the photo from Classic Bike(July 90) that was in Gerry's original post.
The spark plug appears to be located centrally in the cylinder head confirming the four valve layout.
More photos would be great. Gerry, - was there any further information about this in the Magazine? If you still have it perhaps you could publish the entire article here?

Thanks,
Claus
B44Claus
B44Claus
>240
>240

Post by B44Claus »

Hi Steve,

I just had a look at your post from 2008: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1870
As you mention there is not a reference to a project designated P55 but it might be a spin off of one of the other projects? P51 and P52 are on your list what are they?

Thanks,
Claus
B44Claus
SteveS
>680
>680

Post by SteveS »

Hi Gerry

Not sure what P51 and P52 are as there are only drawings of footrest and kickstart. P50 is the A70 twin so P51, P52 could be derivatives.

I also think all the ETED drawings are various versions of the 350 twin that became the Fury / Bandit
Steve Sewell
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

Hi Claus, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, I think I can safely say I no longer have the magazine....
Momus
>220
>220

Post by Momus »

B44Claus wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 am Here's another picture from Angus' video showing the left side of the cylinder head:
P55left.JPG
It looks identical to the photo from Classic Bike(July 90) that was in Gerry's original post.
The spark plug appears to be located centrally in the cylinder head confirming the four valve layout.
More photos would be great. Gerry, - was there any further information about this in the Magazine? If you still have it perhaps you could publish the entire article here?

Thanks,
Claus
The layout and plug positioning is very reminiscent of the Ford/Lotus engine. Then again.

BDA Ford, the other likely thing to copy, would have been a highly ambitious air cooled head design.

Happy to be proven wrong
Lotus.jpg
BDA.jpg
BDA.jpg (15.93 KiB) Viewed 9411 times
If you love it, lube it.
Mark Cook
>1400
>1400

Post by Mark Cook »

No pictures of it, but around 1981 1982 I started making a two cylinder water cooled DOHC engine based on the Cosworth BDX
Where I worked I had access to destroyed race and rally engines. I'd collected enough parts that still had good front cylinders.
A 180 degree crank was made for it and a capping plate to the end of the block and head.
The idea was to use a Norton clutch and gearbox.
Unfortunately, life turned on me and my world fell apart. Most of my childhood memories were lost along with the engine :(
Motorcycles and other parts manufactured by PES

+44 (0) 1709 894192
https://www.pesltd.uk (new online shopping experience)
Grouty
>660
>660

Post by Grouty »

I've inherited a mountain of Classic Bike magazines from my late Father. I will try and have a sift through and see if it is there.
Mark Cook
>1400
>1400

Post by Mark Cook »

If you look through the Bandit/Fury drawings you'll find bits that just don't fit. The date on the those drawings is earlier. So another engine.
Motorcycles and other parts manufactured by PES

+44 (0) 1709 894192
https://www.pesltd.uk (new online shopping experience)