My Dads 1976 CCM 550 (USA) refurb. Original owner with story

Here you can publish Your projects bikes.
Only BSA singles

Moderator: minetymenace

B-Rogers
>10
>10
Has thanked: 0
Flag: United States of America

My Dads 1976 CCM 550 (USA) refurb. Original owner with story

Post by B-Rogers » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 pm

Hello all, first time poster but lurking for a bit..

My name is Brent Rogers, my Dad was Sammy Rogers 1970-1971 Arkansas open pro Champion (Clint Cavin sponsored Husqvarna rider, along with Tony Wynn on CZ)

In 1976 dad bought a brand new CCM 550MX from Aero PA (US importer) in Illinois. Prior to picking up the bike he had a horrendous crash practicing with his friend and protege Tony Wynn (The only top ten Nationally ranked rider from Arkansas, nicknamed The Flying Farmer) on his 250 Noguchi that basically ended his racing career. He could get out and cut up a little bit, but the ability to go out and win consistently was gone. Rather than see the CCM sit in the garage, he would bring the bike to events with Tony as a backup or for smoother tracks where the power could be applied.

During the early 70's when nationally ranked guys would pass through on their way to Memphis or Houston etc, they would stop here in Little Rock and stay with Tony or at my house. Gary Bailey, Gary Semics, Gaylon Mosier, Brad Lackey (who Tony went to Cz factory ride school with) were here in my back yard having BBQs and partying during my youth. I didn't realize how cool that was until later, it was just how it was. I spoke with Gary Semics recently and we had a cool convo about my dad, Gaylon, Tony and all the fun they had when he was here over the years. Very cool guy, so down to earth.

In early 77 at a local race here called Riverview MX park, Tony had the CCM in his van and Gaylon Mosier was here, just visiting, no bike. After a little convincing, Gaylon fired up the CCM and rode around the outside of the track for a few minutes in between motos. Well, second moto lines up and (verified by 3 witnesses and race promotor) theres Gaylon on the CCM. He got the holeshot and completely blew the doors off everyone (including Tony on a pre-production Kawi) for a 1st place. It was quite a big deal for all the locals to have someone like that in a Arkansas race and I have had several old timers see the bike and tell the story. Hopefully I can find some photos to solidify this.

Anyway, after winning so soundly here Dad and Tony decided to enter the bike in the 1977 Carrera Four stroke Nationals in Carlsbad CA. Tony was doing very well early in both motos, but the hard pack Carlsbad track was foreign and Marty Moates and Rod Kentner pulled away from the pack for the wins. Tony was riding so hard (he fell several times both moto) that he made Popular Cycling and Motocross Action magazine photos and even a mention of a "Tony Wynn drove in from Arkansas on a Clean looking CCM" in the Mar 78 issues. A few months later, Ricky Jordan rode the bike at another local race and over revved it killing the engine.

Dad was pretty bitter about his injury and technology had made the CCM obsolete, so the bike sat in my garage till the late 80's when he married a CRAZY ASS woman. One day a few months after they had separated, I was driving down her block when I saw something shiny in her giant trash/brush pile. It was the dismantled CCM!!! She had told him to come get his stuff multiple times and he never would so she TOSSED IT ALL. There, in a pile was the CCM by the street for the garbage man to collect. I still dont know how God or whatever told me to drive that way, that day. I put all of the parts in my car I could find in the pile and drove 100mph to my house 3 blocks away to fetch my dad. Later we broke in and stole the remaining parts from the garage.

Can you imagine pulling up to a garbage pile and finding a nearly complete, disassembled 76 CCM?

I put the bike mostly back together, and back in the garage it went for more decades. Fast forward to 2 years ago. My dad had fought cancer for years but it was winning and I moved in to help him through his final months. When I went into the garage for the first time I noticed the CCM wasn't there. He reluctantly told me he sold it to pay his property taxes. I was crushed. I had saved the bike from the garbage man but i wasn't there to save it from one of his acquaintances who bought it for next to nothing. I was heartbroken, but managed to track down the bike. I made a deal to buy the semi restored bike back but the guy welched and sold it to a wealthy collector from Hollywood. After a lot of guilt trips I managed to get the contact info and contact the new owner. After relaying this whole story to the collector, he graciously offered the bike back to me for his cost. I didn't have the money at the time, but stayed in contact with the gentleman praying he didn't change his mind. When Dad finally passed and I got the TINY insurance check, I made the trip to Baton Rouge where the bike was being stored until transport to California and bought the bike back with literally every penny I had, even selling many guitars and other vintage bike parts. I managed to find the original receipt, bill of sale and delivery papers for the bike with frame and engine serial numbers, plus correspondence between my dad and Martin from Aero PA.

So, after all that I have "The Gypsy" home in my living room, nearly ready to start for the first time after the engine was rebuilt. Im going to try to attach some recent photos but most need compression. I did attach the 70's photos.

If any of you fellas can give a Yankee some tips of things to check/do before I start it up I would appreciate it. I can't afford to put much more money in it if something blows up or something. Just trying to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Hope you enjoy the story of my dads bike, its very special to me and I hope you guys won't mind if I pick your brains to get this beast back digging ruts!

Brent
Attachments
19059406_10207876630707743_2553975557136358065_n-1.jpg
My Mom and I just after 4 stroke nationals
19511753_10212059567116673_874156741_n.jpg
Dad winning State CH.
12105815_10204145070701075_4968517345604340054_n.jpg
Nov 76 a few days after getting it.
10563075_10202860380104613_4186556645022396876_n.jpg
Dad and I after Nationals
20526126_10208276727349909_7946257279709272756_n.jpg
MXA photo
20597244_10208277739455211_1165159889828109314_n.jpg
Popular Cycle Mar 78 issue
Last edited by B-Rogers on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chucksy
>220
>220
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Re: My Dads 1976 CCM 550 (USA) refurb. Original owner with story

Post by chucksy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:38 pm

What a wonderfull story,obviously sorry about your Dad,s struggle,and decisions that had to be made along the way.But the old girl has survived and will hold many good memories for you. My first CCM was just like the one you have with fibre glass tank which was replaced with an alloy tank,bought from Vic Eastwood, and in my mind was the very best CCM made.I have a works replica 79 bike and 3 other 79,s all 4 valvers,but none float me as much as the bike you have,which funnily enough wears my old race number,16.I had to look twice as I thought it was my old bike.You,ll get good advice on here as to whats needed before use,plenty experts and enthusiasts will help you out.Look after the old girl,destiny and fate shoved her your way.Perfect interesting story.I still maintain that a CCM,especially your year ,never went over the jumps and bumps,it went through them.Neither did they have too much power,they just had enough and the geometry and weight kept them so stable. Wonderfull.

B-Rogers
>10
>10

Post by B-Rogers » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:23 pm

Recent pics. I still need all cables, air bellows, cage and filter and a few other bits.
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg

B-Rogers
>10
>10

Post by B-Rogers » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 pm

chucksy wrote:What a wonderfull story,obviously sorry about your Dad,s struggle,and decisions that had to be made along the way.But the old girl has survived and will hold many good memories for you. My first CCM was just like the one you have with fibre glass tank which was replaced with an alloy tank,bought from Vic Eastwood, and in my mind was the very best CCM made.I have a works replica 79 bike and 3 other 79,s all 4 valvers,but none float me as much as the bike you have,which funnily enough wears my old race number,16.I had to look twice as I thought it was my old bike.You,ll get good advice on here as to whats needed before use,plenty experts and enthusiasts will help you out.Look after the old girl,destiny and fate shoved her your way.Perfect interesting story.I still maintain that a CCM,especially your year ,never went over the jumps and bumps,it went through them.Neither did they have too much power,they just had enough and the geometry and weight kept them so stable. Wonderfull.

Thank you for the reply and comments! I will take good care of her, I promise. I mean really we are all just custodians of these things, one day ill have to pass it on to someone else. We all will, but i plan to enjoy it (lightly and gingerly)

Brent

AJ CCM
>260
>260
Flag: England

Post by AJ CCM » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:19 pm

Lovely Story, you have come to the right site for advice.
ccmicon ccmicon ccmicon ccmicon ccmicon ccmicon
Regards AJ CCM

midgie
>1200
>1200
Birthday

Post by midgie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Loved the story Brent, bike looks good, hope all goes well.

B-Rogers
>10
>10

Post by B-Rogers » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:14 am

midgie wrote:Loved the story Brent, bike looks good, hope all goes well.
AJ CCM wrote:Lovely Story, you have come to the right site for advice.
ccmicon ccmicon ccmicon ccmicon ccmicon ccmicon
Thank you guys! Im lucky to have a old timer mechanic who has been working on BSA since the 60's but any tips you guys can share is much appreciated.

It does have a new 930 MK2 Amal 200 main, 106 N, #3 pilot bushing, I'm sure that will need some tweaking. The frame was flushed, I can smell solvent when i remove the filter. I did find some very fine chrome bits when I tapped on the filter, I'm going to grab a new one this week. Jerry (mechanic) is going to check the valve timing and ignition stuff. I know dad was a big Castrol guy, but I'm not 100 percent thats what he ran. Everything is dry right now. Is the filter in the lower tube the only filtration?

My thoughts were to somehow circulate the oil and make sure its getting where it needs to be, maybe removing spark plug and spinning the rear wheel. Until i get proper air filter I'm going to just rig up a small KN I have.

The forks have been re sealed but dont have any oil in them. The rear brake is dragging some, going to try and delve into that this week. Neither have return springs. The rear tire is a 110/100 18" and is very close to the right side of the swing arm. I have about 18mm of room on the chain side, but only 5mm on the right. Theres no way to adjust the angle of the tire relative to the swing arm, at least that i can tell. You can adjust the whole assembly but not the rear tire independently. The wheels were re laced with stainless spokes, so maybe the rear wasn't centered correctly?

The clutch arm on the case isn't doing anything or offering any resistance and that is bothering me, there might be an issue there but again I'm far from a pro on these things.

The original cylinder bolts had frozen and were cut to remove and a NOS cylinder and new bolts installed. Im not a fan of the black powder coat on the cases, I dont know why he wouldn't have done the original gold.

My plan is to get it running and in top tune and enjoy the bike for a while, then tear it down and have the frame re chromed. There are some spots where fine rust is starting to form on the finish and the shock mounts have been cut on to allow the Fox airs. I have a 15" set of progressives on there now while the Fox are rebuilt. The shock on the left must have locked at some point and the seat frame is about 1/8 lower on the left so that will be addressed as well.

Thanks again!
Brent

Andy Chaos
>580
>580

Post by Andy Chaos » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:59 am

Brent i believe the frame filter is now unobtainable but apparently one from a trident can be adapted to fit.
I would check / clean out the sludge trap before running if possible.
Mark Cook at CCM Britain makes the brake return springs and many other CCM parts including a complete 11 plate clutch :thumb
Fantastic story.
Andy

AJ CCM
>260
>260

Post by AJ CCM » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:52 am

Andy Chaos wrote:Brent i believe the frame filter is now unobtainable but apparently one from a trident can be adapted to fit.
I would check / clean out the sludge trap before running if possible.
Mark Cook at CCM Britain makes the brake return springs and many other CCM parts including a complete 11 plate clutch :thumb
Fantastic story.
Andy
You can use the Rocket 3 / Trident Oil filter Part No 70-6571 but you have to shorten it to suit and then wire together.

https://www.britishbikebits.com/oil-fil ... bsa-a75-r3

Alan
Regards AJ CCM

Victor500T
>140
>140

Post by Victor500T » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Fantastic story Brent, and very nicely told. Good to see the photos at the end too. Best of luck with restoring your piece of family history!

B-Rogers
>10
>10

Post by B-Rogers » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:31 am

Thnks for all the replies guys. Im pulling the rear wheel off to address whatever is causing the lever to be locked and the brakes dragging.Im thinking the shoe was put in wrong or something.. Im having trouble getting the adjuster bolt/screw clear of the swing arm. Anyone got any suggestions? The adjuster doesn't seem to thread in or out, i would guess that it goes in.

Thanks

Brent
Last edited by B-Rogers on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chucksy
>220
>220

Post by chucksy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:30 am

Pull the axle right out,that should let the wheel drop and brake plate swing round on the bolt holding it to the swingarm.The hub should now move over to remove brake plate.

stew79
>440
>440

Post by stew79 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am

hi brent, that all looks very tight to get out, and may need the sw arm flexed open a bit with extra pares of hands, (or pieces of wood ?) to get the wheel out. the slotted screw is from the time when things were not made very accurately, and was used to "centralize" the shoes of the brake. the idea was to have the hole in the brake plate bigger than the anchor bolt / shoe pivot, and hold the brake on, whilst tightening the external nut (holding the middle with a screw driver) thankfully this idea was not carried on, and later bikes had more normal brakes, with floating break cams in stead. (like my 79) the scraping noise could be the brake shoe springs, rubbing on the bearing housing of the hub. the position of the holes for the springs is too close together for the hub diameter, this can be made slightly better by bending the ends of the springs over to make the gap between bigger. when i re made some shoes for my bike (could not get any good new ones) i moved the spring holes over to get enough clearance. (same problem with the front shoes)
stew

B-Rogers
>10
>10

Post by B-Rogers » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:29 pm

chucksy wrote:Pull the axle right out,that should let the wheel drop and brake plate swing round on the bolt holding it to the swingarm.The hub should now move over to remove brake plate.
stew79 wrote:hi brent, that all looks very tight to get out, and may need the sw arm flexed open a bit with extra pares of hands, (or pieces of wood ?) to get the wheel out. the slotted screw is from the time when things were not made very accurately, and was used to "centralize" the shoes of the brake. the idea was to have the hole in the brake plate bigger than the anchor bolt / shoe pivot, and hold the brake on, whilst tightening the external nut (holding the middle with a screw driver) thankfully this idea was not carried on, and later bikes had more normal brakes, with floating break cams in stead. (like my 79) the scraping noise could be the brake shoe springs, rubbing on the bearing housing of the hub. the position of the holes for the springs is too close together for the hub diameter, this can be made slightly better by bending the ends of the springs over to make the gap between bigger. when i re made some shoes for my bike (could not get any good new ones) i moved the spring holes over to get enough clearance. (same problem with the front shoes)
stew

Thanks guys, Ill try elevating bike higher tonight to let it drop more I didn't think of that. Maybe ill put it all up on the coffee table. Good thing I'm single, right? :thumb

Brent

B-Rogers
>10
>10

Post by B-Rogers » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:04 pm

That got it, wheel removed and the squeaking is in fact due to the springs as suggested. Thanks! Looks like all the components are brand new, so Ill either re bend the spring ends or go to a local spring shop and see if they have anything that will work. Its barely rubbing but eventually could wear grooves or into the spring. Im considering adding a tiny bit of grease on the lever/cam bolt. Getting any real spread on the pads requires enough tension that it makes the brake arm feel like its gonna round out. May fab a better arm for fun and a better angle for the goofy exposed brake cable.

Brent

B-Rogers
>10
>10

Post by B-Rogers » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Ok, I have whipped up a air bellows and gotten most of the small bits worked out. I have noticed that the bike has a set of bars off of a B50, with the low cross bar and back sweep. I know Dad had a few BSA and Triumph before he got the Husky sponsorship, so Im betting that the wrong bars got picked up in the garage when it was sold. No way they would have raced it with these bars, the bottles would break your face for sure if you caught a forward buck. IIRC the originals had gussets in the bends and had a much more aggressive profile.

I dont wanna do what everyone does and put modern Renthals, so I'm gonna sell these and try to find a similar set to the originals. What would a fair value be for a set of B50 bars?

Brent
Attachments
11148438_690021741134393_2134369170205373007_n.jpg
Dad and someone from AERO PA at a race, not sure of location.

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:04 am

Two bikes in the photo... both Beesas?
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

B-Rogers
>10
>10

Post by B-Rogers » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:45 am

minetymenace wrote:Two bikes in the photo... both Beesas?
Dads 550 is in the background, you can see the Falk fender and Fox shock shaft. The one in front was brand new and was either for a customer or just for drumming up orders. Dad couldnt remember exactly where it was taken, doesn't look like 4 stroke nationals. He had gone a bit soft in the head by the time i found the photo. Ive got a lot of MX photos like that with very little reference as to year, location etc..

Brent

B-Rogers
>10
>10

Post by B-Rogers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:40 pm

A little vid I made for the old man and Tony. Some good classic mx photos too, hope you fellows enjoy.
https://youtu.be/BWaZgIVQe_w

And a better quality one quickie of the bike.
https://youtu.be/9fHXqc9Djm0
These users thanked the author B-Rogers for the post:
bikestyles (Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:45 am)
Rating: 33.33%

beat
>1400
>1400
Flag: Switzerland

Post by beat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 pm

:thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

beat

B-Rogers
>10
>10

Post by B-Rogers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:34 pm

I want to paint the cases gold like they were originally, not black like they are. My engine is still dry, is it as simple as removing the kicker, shifted, pegs to remove the cases? The brake side I think I can paint in place with some careful masking. I know the ignition wire snakes through there as well.

So I guess I'm asking if there's anything tricky about removing both covers that can't be seen from the outside. I could mask it but would rather remove and do it before I fill with oils

Thanks guys!
Brent