Which tank sealant?

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

bossy
>500
>500

Which tank sealant?

Post by bossy »

I dont suppose that the Silicone that I goiked over the outside of the crack in my tank will last forever, so putting some sealant inside sound like a good idea.
Can anyone recommend a particular product?
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Re: Which tank sealant?

Post by minetymenace »

Some coments on Petroseal type stuff under this topic.
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400

Post by Ian Hingley »

Seem to be reading a fair bit about petseal and modern fuels not making good long term bed fellows at the moment.

Over the years I've had plenty of success with Araldite on the outside of tank seams. Use the old fashioned slow setting stuff rather than rapid.

At least if it does soften over time you can peel it off the outside and re-apply some more, rather than scratch your head wondering how you're going to get every last remnant out of the inside of your tank ...

Wouldn't want to spoil the looks of your bike though Bossy!
66 BSA Victor Enduro, 72 BSA Lightning, 62 BSA B40 trials, 2015 Truimph Street Twin, 89 H*nda Bros 650, 2000 Aprilia Moto 6.5 Starck
Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400

Post by Ian Hingley »

Similar thread going on the Yahoo BSA Group forum.

Someone recommends POR15

http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPAIR- ... info/CTRK/
66 BSA Victor Enduro, 72 BSA Lightning, 62 BSA B40 trials, 2015 Truimph Street Twin, 89 H*nda Bros 650, 2000 Aprilia Moto 6.5 Starck
HPbyStan
>1400
>1400

Post by HPbyStan »

Is any of this stuff effective for fiberglass / glass fiber tanks? I poured some lawn mower gas into the B25 shorttrackers tank just to get it running as that was all that was handy and that crap started disolving the resin out of the tank and it's too spongy to use right now.
xto
>200
>200

Post by xto »

Stan
AN outfit called Aircraft Spruce offers a tank sealer specifically for fiberglass tanks and I believe Caswells and POR 15 are rated for f-glass use. I have used the POR15 on my steel B50 tank for 2 years w/o problems from modern fuel and will use it again if need arises.
xto
73 b50 mx/streeteater-"Butch"
HPbyStan
>1400
>1400

Post by HPbyStan »

Thanks man. I should still have an Aircraft Spruce catalog around here as I used to get my 4130 chrome moly from them when I was still making my own frames.
JonH
>100
>100

Post by JonH »

I've used the Rand 912 supplied by Aircraft Spruce a number of years ago on reccomendation of EdV. It stopped a weeping tank after a lot of prep work in drying the glass and lasted a couple of years, a lot longer than another tank lasted without being coated. Subsequent conversation with Ed was that he was now using something else he felt was better. Might give him a shout.
HPbyStan
>1400
>1400

Post by HPbyStan »

Thanks, I needed to talk with Ed anyway.
steve m
>1400
>1400

Post by steve m »

Stan,
maybe your mower fuel had some E10 in it. alcohol (ethanol or methanol) and fibreglass, big no-no.
years ago i was on a camping weekend in the bush miles from nowhere and the petrol tank in my car sprung a leak. a mate that was with me asked if i had a bar of soap. he scrapped some soap off it and made a paste using some petrol, pressed it onto the split in the tank. the leak stopped immediately, it set like araldite.
i kept an eye on it for a little while until i just forgot all about it. never leaked again. i sold the car, about 8 or so years later.(that was pure laundry type soap and old fashioned super petrol).
so that's a good trick in an emergency for a split. inside sealing is something i am going to have to do soon and i think i will use por-15, i have heard good reports about it.

steve
B44Claus
>180
>180

Post by B44Claus »

Hello,

I'm following up on this old topic to get some input from forum members as to what new developments there are(if any) with regard to tank sealing products.
I have a glass fiber tank for my B25 Starfire which I tried to seal 10 - 15 years ago, unsuccessfully as it didn't even last to the MOT station.
Tank2.JPG
Since then I have fitted the larger steel tank. Although quite similar in shape I actually prefer the appearance of the glass fiber version. It's slimmer and in better proportion to the small B25.
Tank1.JPG
I therefore thought I would give it one last change if there are any products available which can tolerate to days ethanol additives to petrol.
Searching this forum the posts regarding tank sealants are older and it would be nice if there are any with more recent experiences who would provide an update.
I'm aware that I will have to remove the old sealer from the tank before a new product is poured in.
Tank3.JPG
Brgds,
Claus
B44Claus
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

Depending where you live, you might find a place that specializes in doing this for car/truck gas tanks. Check the phone book. I have one nearby that I use, just drop the tank off and pick it up and the cost is close to what I would have in a kit.
Jeff
B44Claus
>180
>180

Post by B44Claus »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response. I would probably have to send the tank abroad as the service you mention doesn't exist in my country(Denmark). If the tank was steel I could get it soldered/brazed or welded but glass fiber tanks are a rarity here and no one will undertake to seal a tank professionally and definitely not guarantee the work.

In the older posts there are some mentioning of Caswell as a product that holds up well to the ethanol in gasoline, the question is if this is still the case with the current increased ethanol contend of 2020?
There is guy here who sells a product named "Tank Cure" are any of you familiar with that?
TankCure.JPG
Brgds,
Claus
B44Claus
gunnag
>760
>760

Post by gunnag »

Not sure what sealant you have in the tank but I've previously had good success with Acetone for removing very old Petseal used in my A65 fibreglass tank. Acetone sloshed around causes the Petseal to flake off the inside in big chunks which can then be further broken down by adding old screws/nuts/drywall screws etc. and shaking more.

You could also try some of the products sold by Tank Care Products see This Link They sell a range of sealant removers as well as a very good sealant called Sure Seal which works on fibreglass (some don't). I've used Sure Seal on my A65 fibreglass tank and its holding up well after 7 years or so, I found the coverage of Sure Seal less than expected so I would buy a bigger tin if I use it again.

Using these chemicals and sealants poses a big risk to your paintwork so seal off all holes very carefully. Some people wrap the tank in clingfilm and use duct tape around the filler neck.
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

The Indians sell a steel tank that is a copy of the sculpted fibre glass tank. As long as you buy from royal choppers or pummy8081 on eBay you should be ok.
B44Claus
>180
>180

Post by B44Claus »

Thanks Gunnag, I'll try acetone first to see if it will dissolve the old sealant in the tank. I can't remember what brand of sealer I used back then but it is light brown and has a rubberish feel to it. I'll take a closer look at Sure Seal.

Kommando, thanks for referring me to the Indian made tanks I might go in that direction if my attempt to seal the tank properly fails.

Brgds,
Claus
B44Claus
madsundaysurvivor
>180
>180

Post by madsundaysurvivor »

I have used tank cure several times, (only because I have the distributor for Spain nearby, and I only have to go to the store to buy it without shipping) always with good results. I do not know how long it lasts, because I have been selling some motorcycles and I do not know how it will be now.
I have a triumph with this treatment since 2006 and so far without problems.

it is curious that from different points of the world we buy the 4130 in the same place