b25 inline filter

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

bajatr25w
>10
>10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

b25 inline filter

Post by bajatr25w » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:14 am

Hi everyone,i was reading the Rupert Ratio book on inline oil filtering,he said we could use a gasoline (petrol) filter as used in cars if changed often,seems like a good idea,pretty simple and cheap what do u guys think?,also b25 being so picky as far as oil preassure ,is this a good idea ?? .any ideas on how to increase oil flow?

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Re: b25 inline filter

Post by minetymenace » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:29 pm

oil filters are cheap enough and have standard fittings, why use a fuel filter? The bottom end oil flow will increase as the big end wears :shock: or should I say if all the oil ways are clear, flow is not the issue on a plain bearing, are you talking top end?

This is not quite a Tech Write up, so have moved the topic to Tech :grin:
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

kommando
>1400
>1400
Flag: Ireland

Post by kommando » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:51 pm

You fit the filter in the return line not the feed line, gear pumps push well but do not suck well.

To improve oil flow there are a number of tricks, use weston pioneer crank end seals only, use Triumph 500 shells without the bleed hole and in Al/Sn material, seal the sludge trap plug, seal the non return valve plug in the inner timing case. There are a few others, all in the TR25W 3rd edition factory manual (but not in the BSA version :roll: )

gunnag
>740
>740
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Post by gunnag » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:33 pm

IM using a Magnefine power steering/auto transmission filter in the return line of my B44. Its been installed for over 2000 miles so far and all seems good.

This filter fits in line on the oil return line and only takes about 5 mins to install.

Its similar to an inline fuel filter but is larger, has a built in paper filter and magnet to catch ferrous material, is designed for hot oil and also has a blow off valve incase it becomes clogged. The makers claim it can catch 99.99% of debris but who knows, anyway it seems to work well.

You can get them in the UK but most supplies seem to be on ebay in the USA, see THis Link. They are cheap enough and will probably last a few thousand miles before needing changing.

Mr Mike
>880
>880
Flag: United States of America

Post by Mr Mike » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:41 am

Not a bad idea. My B44 is the only bike w/o a filter as I could not find a real clean way to do it. I think I'll try it.

Mr Mike