title cold case

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

jim-nz
>40
>40
Has thanked: 0
Flag: New Zealand

title cold case

Post by jim-nz » Thu May 26, 2016 1:04 am

Hi I am just wondering if there is any way to obtain information on the title of a bike that was originally sold in the usa. I have the engine and frame numbers and they are matching.

HPbyStan
>1400
>1400
Flag: United States of America

Re: title cold case

Post by HPbyStan » Thu May 26, 2016 1:52 am

All the states can be different. Do you know which state it was titled in ? Some states don't even have titles, just a bill of sale.

jim-nz
>40
>40
Flag: New Zealand

Post by jim-nz » Thu May 26, 2016 3:18 am

Hey. Thanks for the reply. I don't know what state it was sold in but I believe it was an eastern state as the registry on this site lists it as having been shipped to Baltimore. I have a faded corner of an old registration label but that doesn't seem to give any indication as to the state. I am hoping to be able to get the machine road legal in new Zealand but is difficult without any history on the bike.

Roger
>220
>220
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Post by Roger » Thu May 26, 2016 3:57 am

If you have the frame number, this may be the VIN number used to register the bike. You can then ask the relevant DMV authority (starting with Maryland) to run a query. They should be able to show whether or not it was listed as stolen, and possibly list previous owners.
Proud owner of 1971 BSA B50T (in restoration)

Jeff K
>1200
>1200

Post by Jeff K » Fri May 27, 2016 4:24 am

In Michigan they only kept track of it if the registration was current for 7 years. After 7 years it was no longer in the system. And it is a real pain to title a bike without one. I know, I have done over 16 old finds that did not have a title. The Sercetary of State's office went from being helpful to treating you like a crimminal quite a few years back. Most of the states are starting to standardise the process, but they are not all the same. As mentioned, somes states depending on how old do not require a title, just a bill of sales.
Jeff

Jeff K
>1200
>1200

Post by Jeff K » Fri May 27, 2016 4:45 am

In Michigan, if you do not have a title. You go to the local SOS office and get a form to fill out. You fill out the form and when, where and who you got the bike from. then you turn it in with the receipt or bill of sales. The SOS then runs a background check nation wide to see if it was stolen or has a lien on it.. If it is OK then you go back with a appraisal on a bike dealers letterhead or a copy of the NADA listed value of the bike. Then you pay a 6% sales tax on which is higher, the appraised value or the bill of sales, yes that is correct, which one is higher is the one you get taxed on. Then you pay $15 to file and you get a new title.
Unless the value is $2500 or more. then the fun starts. Now you need to buy a cash surety bond for triple the value that is good for 2 years and turn that in to them. And you get another form. This one you will need to have the local law enforcement agency come out verify that all of the numbers match and all of the main parts are there. But if the SOS feels like being a pain. They can give you a different form for the police to use that has all of the proper equipment is on the bike and working. And at any time they can be an arse and stop the process and refuse to do it. So you then go to another SOS office and start over and hope they are more friendlier.
And if the frame numbers do not match the motor numbers. Then you have to file as a assembled bike. They have a list of all major parts and you need to to have documentation on who, when and where you got the part and bill of sales or receipts and add the bond and the inspection.
Good luck trying to prove to them that some bikes did not come with matching numbers or the the frame is stamped B25 2220 and the motor is stamped 2220 B25, to them it is a different number. Got a motor that has something extra on it like HC for high compression, then it better be on the frame.
If you are lucky you can find a good cop who will help out and cut you some slack. Remeber that none of the people working at the SOS office were alive when these bike were new and they can not understand why it does not have the proper 17 digit VIN number on it.
Jeff

skippy
>1400
>1400
Flag: Australia

Post by skippy » Fri May 27, 2016 7:44 am

Don't you just love bureaucracy. It has an international flavor that is loved by all governments, everywhere.
Doug
Should never have sold them old motorbikes

Jeff K
>1200
>1200

Post by Jeff K » Fri May 27, 2016 2:55 pm

And in Michigan they do not recognize a bike that was bought out of state without a title. And again it depends on who is at the SOS office that day. I had one manager turn me into the SOS fraud investigator ( who was actually very helpful) and another manager who was extremely helpful and got me several titles. Then she move on to a different office and the young man who replaced her goes by the book and you are guilty until proven innocent. Time to find another office. An out of country title could get very interesting.
There used to be a couple of companies who for a fee would do a back ground check and then get a title issued in one of the states that were not so restrictive for you. I was told that Michigan's rules are following the federal guide lines. So it might be that all state may be like this in the future.
Jeff

Allflatblack
>120
>120
Been thanked: 0

Post by Allflatblack » Sat May 28, 2016 2:35 am

Do you need a USA title or transferable registration in order to register the bike in NZ? You can get one no questions asked from a title agency in Vermont. Since the B50 is technically 499 cc, you just send in a form and he sends you a transferable registration. It's about $300 us because it is then registered for a year. Motorecycle it's called.
AHRMA #647
Repair.Restore.Ride.Race