Sump plate filter question [PHOTO]

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Roger
>220
>220

Sump plate filter question [PHOTO]

Post by Roger »

So here's the top of the sump plate showing the (copper?) filter. The filter is soldered in, I think, as per Rupert Ratio (p. 41). As you can see, the filter seems to be degrading (note lower left patch with pieces of mesh missing), so I want to replace that. But given the filter is soldered in, I can't see how I'd easily replace just the filter. So the question is can I just substitute the later sump plate with its separate filter (mentioned by Rupert Ratio and which is shown in the 1971 parts list)? Are the sump plate studs long enough to accommodate the separate items?
IMG_2238.JPG
Proud owner of 1971 BSA B50T (in restoration)
Barry Creary
>1200
>1200

Re: Sump plate filter question [PHOTO]

Post by Barry Creary »

I replace with a complete aluminium sump plate and filter with a magnetised drain plug for wet sumping from Mark at PES
midgie
>1300
>1300

Post by midgie »

Roger wrote:So here's the top of the sump plate showing the (copper?) filter. The filter is soldered in, I think, as per Rupert Ratio (p. 41). As you can see, the filter seems to be degrading (note lower left patch with pieces of mesh missing), so I want to replace that. But given the filter is soldered in, I can't see how I'd easily replace just the filter. So the question is can I just substitute the later sump plate with its separate filter (mentioned by Rupert Ratio and which is shown in the 1971 parts list)? Are the sump plate studs long enough to accommodate the separate items?
IMG_2238.JPG
do not take any notice of anything in the 71 parts book. so much is wrong, including the sump details and part number. the part number given is 67-1286 showing a separate filter, which is from a b25/b44 and as such is not deep enough and will cause wet sumping. the correct deep sump with combined screen is part no. 71-2933 and only found on the b50 model.
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

I keep the old sump plate, removing the old filter using heat to soften the solder and it pulls off. I then fit the separate screen and second gasket, studs are removed and allen bolts used instead. If the engine is out of the frame you can helicoil the stud holes for the allen bolts for added durability but not had any issues without the helicoils.
bacigalupo
>80
>80

Post by bacigalupo »

Hi, I had the same problem. Remove the brass filter with brute force, and use a plumbers gas torch to melt the solder to remove the remainder. Then buy a replacement removeable filter (I got one from SRM). The sump plate is steel, which makes it ideal to stick a magnet into it to pick up any fine metal parts.
Steve
Dazzle
>20
>20

Post by Dazzle »

Was reading this thread before buying a new sump and filter for my B50T and there is something which Midgie said that I don't understand. He says the B25/B40 sump is not as deep as the B50 one (true) and it will cause wet sumping (?). Can anyone explain exactly why it encourages wet sumping please ? The SRM website says their Aluminium sump is suitable for the B25/B40/B44 & B50 - but I don't want to purchase one if it's not suitable. Thanks.
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

If the cover is too close to the oil return inlet the oil cannot get past the restriction and the oil level in the sump increases.
lathejack
>180
>180

Post by lathejack »

Yes. Just what Kommando says.

Also the oil scavenger pickup pipe on the B50 is cut square on the end, so it needs the slightly deeper sump plate. The pickup on the B25 B44 etc is cut at an angle, so they work ok with the shallow sump plate.

If the SRM sump plates claim to be suitable for all the Unit Singles, then they are probably made deep so will work fine on any of them.
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

Kommando + 2 :thumb
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
Dazzle
>20
>20

Post by Dazzle »

Yes, thanks for that Kommando and Gene. What I didn't realise was that the B50 scavenger pickup pipe was supposed to have a square cut-off end. My B50T has been fitted with an 'angled' one - this being the case NOW I understand why the Sump needs to be deeper on the B50.

Having purchased an SRM Sump for my B25 a few years back I can safely say it is not as deep as the standard Sump fitted to my B50. I noticed today online that PES offer a 'deep' aluminium Sump which is the one I will probably go for. I tried in vain to contact them today (rang 3 times and even left a message) but couldn't get an answer so will try again next week.

Looks like I need a new scavenger pick-up pipe as well !!

Thank you guys <200
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

Mark and Anita at PES are normally working in a noisy machine shop during the day, and don't answer the phone if they don't hear it or are mid-job, they do browse their e-mails in the evening, try that....
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
Dazzle
>20
>20

Post by Dazzle »

Thanks for that Minety, I'll send them an email now - good man !
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

Go with the PES, The fit, finish and quality is fantastic!
Jeff