crappy fork gaiters

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Sly Dixon
>380
>380

crappy fork gaiters

Post by Sly Dixon »

I fitted a brand new set of fork gaiters five months ago and they are already completely rotten. Either they are made from pure rubber and have reacted to the oil on the springs or they are just poorly made. Can anyone recommend a source of quality gaiters as my forks are now completely exposed to the elements?
ampshire-og
>160
>160

Re: crappy fork gaiters

Post by ampshire-og »

I have exactly the same problem with a pair for my Victor Special. The bikes been sat in the garage most of the time during the six months. I believe they were made in Asia??? Last week went to a jumble and picked up a pair of NOS I think? They are a lot thicker with part nos moulded in the rubber, so i'll give them a go. Sorry I can't help with a good supplier.
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

Do a web search -- this is a huge problem with the after market ones. I posted a while ago the same problem. Garage keep, very low miles and in 6 months they new fork gaiters turned into a stack of rubber O rings. This is way OEM used ones are costing more then new ones.
Jeff
BSA_WM20
>900
>900

Post by BSA_WM20 »

The price of Latex plumeted quite some time ago so most rubber compouders shove as much latex in their mix as they think they can get away with.
Thus the dissintergrating gaiters.
Running either girder or comical front ends at the moment I have not needed to buy gaiters for quite some time.
However a while back when this came up on another forum it was suggested that there is a BMW gaiter that will span the gap and because it is OEM is actually made to a specification, not just an appearence and actually gets tested.
Bike Beesa
Trevor
Richard Beard
>160
>160

Post by Richard Beard »

Best solution mentioned on other forums is to use the Commando gaiters sourced from Norvil in UK.
HTH
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

You can't trust Norvil to source from Andover Norton as they have been removed from Andover's lists so source from Andover direct, RGM or Old Britt's in US.
David S
>220
>220

Post by David S »

I have had the same problem with gaiters on my 68 441VS.I believe that they were made for Emgo and I will need to replace them this winter.I have sourced a new pair of gaiters that are UK made and look like much better quality.

David S
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

Be careful, I have seen some stuff as listed as UK that are really more EMGO parts. I would asked the vendor that they are "made" in the UK and not repackaged there.
Jeff
Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon »

Ive bought a set from British Bike Bits that claim to be vulcanised and better quality. I will repost here to let you all know how they last. Why someone can't make a neoprene set is beyond me.
Nambo
>380
>380

Post by Nambo »

I have pictures here somewhere of how well neoprene gaitors from a modern Triumph Bonneville look and fit, they will last forever.
Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon »

I recieved the new ones and they are pretty rough. Ill chuck them on but would be interested to see how the Triumph ones look.
BSA_WM20
>900
>900

Post by BSA_WM20 »

Sly Dixon wrote:Ive bought a set from British Bike Bits that claim to be vulcanised and better quality. I will repost here to let you all know how they last. Why someone can't make a neoprene set is beyond me.
Because the moulds cost around $ 60,000 and the number of owners who would be willing to fork out $ 40 for a good pair when they can get a garbage pair for $ 15 - $ 25 is a lot smaller than you think.
You don't see Mark driving his Roller to his summer villa in Spain from the profits he makes selling top shelf BSA parts to owners who are happy to pay that bit extra for stuff that lasts.
SO you have just forked out $ 60,000 and now you have to get certified rubber compound ( defence grade ) which costs 10 x what general run of the mill stuff costs.
The first 100 sets out of the moulds will be rubbish, but they only cost you wages & energy as you can freeze them in liquid nitrogen grind them back up then add the grounds at 5% by volume to your certified mix.
So you have now made 6,000 sets .
Mould capital cost $ 10
Rubber $ 15
Energy $ 5
labour $ 5
So they are $ 30 a pair sitting in a pile on the factory floor.
You now have to package them and because they are going to be sitting for a long while they will need to be packed with an inert gas , say Nitrogen in a non permiable package . You have just pissed another $ 5.00 up against a wall .
Then they will need to be labled and boxed in such a way that they will not crush because if crushed they will take up a perminant deformed shape.
The the boxes need to be labled added to your inventory and warehoused.
The cost of picking off the shelf to send to Mark will be around $ 6 for a single pair or $ 5 for a box then they have to be shipped, from NZ to UK about $ 30 for a box of say 50 pair.
To show any sort of a profit you will need to charge Mark $ 50 - $ 60 a pair and he adds his modest 30% to that so BSA Bill is looking at $ 60 to $ 75 a pair retail and he can buy something that LOOKS identical on evilbay for $ 15.00.
The 2 pallets of gaters are costing you $ 3 to $ 8 per week just sitting on the shelf and you have to sell all of those just to cover the cost of the mould and the mould itself has a storage cost which has to be taken into account.
For the same $ 60,000 you could get a pokemon poo mould made , cast them from the cheapest grade of recycled old car tyres you can find and sell 1,000,000 a week at $ 2,00 gross profit each.
Bike Beesa
Trevor
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

Why is it then that the original fork gaitors that are some times 50 years old or older and have been exposed to the elements are still working, they may not be shinny and new looking. But they are still functioning. I have bikes that have the original ones still on them and they still are in good condition. And I have some "new" ones that self destructed to a stack of rubber washers with in months. Have we gone backwards in rubber technology?
Jeff
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

Jeff K: Yes.
BSA_WM20: Are you getting enough nookey?
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon »

Clearly I hit a nerve! I would though happily pay $100 or more for a set that will last. Pulling the forks off every five months is simply ridiculous also living in NZ means that I end up paying about as much in postage for the gaiters as it costs me to pay for registration. I also object to someone producing a product that is designed to fail. To me it seems like a rort. As stated there is clearly a compound that is appropriate, I have one old Wassell branded one that seems perfect. Also and finally there are clearly a number of suppliers with existing moulds who simply have to use an appropriate compound so I dispute the level of R&D and risk described.
BSA_WM20
>900
>900

Post by BSA_WM20 »

minetymenace wrote:Jeff K: Yes.
BSA_WM20: Are you getting enough nookey?
Funny you should mention that.
I am about to place a 30Kg order of CEI's from Nookies very shortly :thumb

Been looking at a way to turn my hobby & passion into a source of income without ending up in the poor house for the last 40 years.
Did some importing from the USA in the days when you could get an A65 for $ 500, but those days are gone and the market is very fickle.
Had a stack of A65F's I could not shift then 5 years latter on they were being resold for 3 times what I sold them for.

I had a nice little earner for a while sending old single BMW's back to Germany but demand slowed then shipping went through the roof.

Was tooling up to do high quality tinwear then the junk avalanche came in from India and killed off that idea.
Bike Beesa
Trevor
bakko
1-10
1-10

Post by bakko »

http://www.carrotcycles.co.uk/grips-and ... iters.html

I fitted a pair of the 30/40 mm Triumph gaiters to my C15 about three years and whilst the bike has yet to see the light of day ( it will soon ! ) the gaiters still look as good as new and show no signs at all of deteriorating. They are made by Ariete in Italy, they fit perfectly and only needed some small air holes drilled through them.
They are also twice the price of the usual run of the mill stuff, nuff said !

good luck,

Richard
Winsur44
>60
>60

Post by Winsur44 »

Richard Beard wrote:Best solution mentioned on other forums is to use the Commando gaiters sourced from Norvil in UK.
HTH
I have Commando gaiters that I bought from Old Britt's in 2000 that I never got around to installing. I just pulled them out of my spares box, and they are good as new. The problem is they are too small to fit the MX slider. Fred mentions they are a tight fit for the Commando, but when I matched them up to my 74 Triumph MX I am rebuilding, there is no way they will fit. I think I will go to the local triumph shop with slider and tube in hand and see if the above modern Triumph gaiters will work. This aftermarket rubber problem goes way back. In my VW shop in the early 80s, I never knew what was going to show up, unless it came from Germany. The worst were the swing axle boots. I tried several sources from South America, and most were so bad I couldn't even install them. I guess the next question is sourcing the O rings. Mine look really good. Maybe I should leave well enough alone.
Association does not prove the cause
USNOA 2062
75 Commando
74 R90R/6
74 R90S
72 Ducati 250
72 BSA B50SS B50 Cafe
72 BSA B50T
08 V*trom 1000
67 Hond* S90
74 Triumph TR50MX
Piles of 250 parts and rolling chassis.
06 S*zuki DRZ 400
73 Triumph 500 T5TR
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

The Commando ones do fit, use hot water or a hair dryer to give you some more stretch, you need to be brutal with them.
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

I was downstairs the other day and I noticed that I still have a couple of sets left from when I had ordered Fork gaiters. Oddly the ones in the plastic bags are still looking like new. Yet the one pair that I used on the B40 project, once on the bike did not last a year?? They rotted into a stack of rubber washers even though the bike was barely ridden and garage kept. So being stored in the bag makes them last. Something tells me it is once they are exposed to something is when they start to decompose. Daylight? Fresh air? oil?
Jeff
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

Colonials? :oops:

Sorry...couldn't resist it :???:
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
Sly Dixon
>380
>380

Post by Sly Dixon »

Yes down in the ex colonies we have this damaging thing called sunshine. it can play havoc with rubberware. :ban
Canberra
>1300
>1300

Post by Canberra »

Big issue is the UV light is very high here in the southern colonies. So high it is worse magnified by high altitude rain clouds. UK has sunshine (occasionally) but cannot generate as much UV. Piss weak in fact but with global warming they may be able to make the grade one day :roll: .

Most products manufactured in northern hemisphere have to have higher amounts of UV stabiliser mixed in them for sale in southern lands. That goes for rubber, plastics and paint. Problem is that most companies do not want to manufacture for use in different locations, so we get short life on the northern products sold down under.

I used to sell plastic lenses on railways from USA that discoloured in short period of time in Oz until the manufacturer changed their material blends. That or they lost their market here. Rubber products were just as bad.

John
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

:thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb
Sly Dixon wrote:Yes down in the ex colonies we have this damaging thing called sunshine. it can play havoc with rubberware. :ban
Winsur44
>60
>60

Post by Winsur44 »

I bit the bullet and purchased K&S gaiters (Taiwan) from BSA Unit Singles. They feel really good, installed nicely. I hope they last more than a 6 monhs. I am just tidying up things before I try to start it. It has been in storage for many years, I am putting them on the pictured Triumph TR5MX Avenger that I bought from the original owner. He was in the process of making it a street legal Cafe. That is why it has the Dual Leading Shoe brakes. I have all the original parts, some not in so great shape. The original 21" rim is more crooked than Dick's hatband. The tank is pretty beat up, too. The one on the bike is a slightly larger Aluminium one. The owner was a Triumph mechanic for many years in Austin Texas. He bought the last one at the dealership, #950 in 1975. How many of these did Triumph make?
B50 MX.JPG
Association does not prove the cause
USNOA 2062
75 Commando
74 R90R/6
74 R90S
72 Ducati 250
72 BSA B50SS B50 Cafe
72 BSA B50T
08 V*trom 1000
67 Hond* S90
74 Triumph TR50MX
Piles of 250 parts and rolling chassis.
06 S*zuki DRZ 400
73 Triumph 500 T5TR
midgie
>1300
>1300

Post by midgie »

Winsur44 wrote:I bit the bullet and purchased K&S gaiters (Taiwan) from BSA Unit Singles. They feel really good, installed nicely. I hope they last more than a 6 monhs. I am just tidying up things before I try to start it. It has been in storage for many years, I am putting them on the pictured Triumph TR5MX Avenger that I bought from the original owner. He was in the process of making it a street legal Cafe. That is why it has the Dual Leading Shoe brakes. I have all the original parts, some not in so great shape. The original 21" rim is more crooked than Dick's hatband. The tank is pretty beat up, too. The one on the bike is a slightly larger Aluminium one. The owner was a Triumph mechanic for many years in Austin Texas. He bought the last one at the dealership, #950 in 1975. How many of these did Triumph make?
B50 MX.JPG
triumph didn't make them, bsa did. as for the production numbers when I asked Alistair cave the bsa works manager years ago, he told me he lent the production sheets along with the 73 b50mx on them to somebody who kindly never returned them.
David S
>220
>220

Post by David S »

I have a 74 Triumph TR5MX and I was told around 484+ or- were made under the Triumph name.

David S
midgie
>1300
>1300

Post by midgie »

David S wrote:I have a 74 Triumph TR5MX and I was told around 484+ or- were made under the Triumph name.

David S
they were made badged as triumph, but from the bsa factory.
David S
>220
>220

Post by David S »

Your correct midge,the frame has a decal near the head stock stating that it was manufactured by BSA Engineering Ltd. The serial number is also on the decal along with the disclaimer for compitition or off road use only.I was only giving an approx.number that were badged as Triumphs.

David S
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

midgie wrote:
David S wrote:I have a 74 Triumph TR5MX and I was told around 484+ or- were made under the Triumph name.

David S
they were made badged as triumph, but from the bsa factory.
I remember at the time, I was at the local Triumph dealer. The long gone Saginaw Triumph. Sam the owner was mad at Triumph because they told him he had to take on and sell the rebadged B50s. He knew it was a one shot deal with few bikes going to be made and he told them NO, he would not be able to sell enough bikes to be worth it to stock all the BSA parts.
Triumph got Sam back, when shortly afterwards they folded and dumped their bikes. I was in the local S*zuki dealer, Steven's Cycle and they had new Triumphs for sale. I asked the owner Bill about parts. He told me that he was just selling the bikes and that he would not service them or stock any parts for them.

I picked up a very clean one owner TR50MX and a S*zuki 750 Water bUffalo 25+ years ago, for the princely sum of $100.00. I had my best friend help me picked them up and on the way home he was uncharactoristcaly quiet. I asked him what's up. He smiled and told. Did you evey have a bike that you always wanted and never had. Yes mine was the TR5T. He smiled and told me the TR50MX was his. So, I sold him the bike for the $50.00 that I paid for it. It is still sitting in the back of his workshop where we put it back then and still in GREAT condition. I am thinking about offering $55.00 for it. :thumb
Jeff
beat
>1400
>1400

Post by beat »

Jeff K wrote:I am thinking about offering $55.00 for it.
try with offering $ 51.00, - you can stil going upwards.....
;-)
Jeff K
>1300
>1300

Post by Jeff K »

I thought about offering $60.00 but it has the small MX tank (no dents or scratches) and no lights or battery. :lol:
Jeff
David S
>220
>220

Post by David S »

$60.00 dollars? And I thought that I got a good deal buying my TR5MX for $400.00 dollars in 1979! :shock:

David S