Dodgy clutch springs?

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

lathejack
>180
>180
Has thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Dodgy clutch springs?

Post by lathejack » Wed May 08, 2019 10:06 pm

These clutch springs are on offer on EBay from a U.S. seller, listed as BSA 441 500 Single clutch spring/nut set. They appear to be wound the wrong way, I thought these faulty clutch springs had disappeared from circulation. I thought it possible that the photo may have been reversed, giving the impression that they are wound the wrong way. I tried to view the thread pitch inside the nuts to see if the image was reversed but can't see anything.
Or is it normal to find them wound one way or the other if the nuts use a lockwire instead of a small pip under the head to keep them in place.
image.jpg

Rookster
>100
>100
Been thanked: 0
Flag: United States of America

Re: Dodgy clutch springs?

Post by Rookster » Thu May 09, 2019 3:20 am

I think it doesn't matter if you are not using the original screws with the pip. With the original screws with the pip, as you start to tighten them the backward wound spring will bend all out of shape. I just replaced my springs with some old nos ones: eBay item #280823313588. They were exactly like the originals I replaced and all had the same pressure when I squeezed between my thumb and finger. The originals did not. 2 were stiffer than the others.

Scott

gunnag
>740
>740
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Dodgy clutch springs?

Post by gunnag » Sun May 12, 2019 10:35 pm

IMHO the best way to ensure the springs and screws don't come undone is to use lock wire, don't rely on the pip or the springs being wound the right way, they invariably come loose unless lock wired in place.