Best Electronic Ignition

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

johnu
>200
>200

Best Electronic Ignition

Post by johnu »

I did try the search but didn't come up with anything definitive! I am looking for the best option electronic ignition to use on an mxer with no battery. I hear the electrex is pretty good. Thoughts please :grin:
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
BSA A10 Road Rocket (RGS Rep)
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
Shawn_Mc
>40
>40

Re: Best Electronic Ignition

Post by Shawn_Mc »

I just mounted an Electrex on my B25. Pretty sweet. Spinning the engine over by hand with no plug makes a pretty significant spark. It's basically a PVL style and you cant beat it for the price.
No charging system, but if your setting up an MX'r, this is the ticket, IMHO.
Attachments
Eletrex installed.jpg
Current Bikes
1971 BSA B25 Victor Trail
1983 H o n d a CB1100F
2003 CRF450R
I'm in Southern California
Shawn's Performance. Two and Four stroke engine and Suspension tuning.
johnu
>200
>200

Post by johnu »

Thanks Shawn. You are the second person to recommend the Electrex so i will likely go with that. Is it simple to install and set up? Also where did you purchase it from. I see you are in SoCal as I am (Redlands).
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
BSA_WM20
>900
>900

Post by BSA_WM20 »

The local VMX crowd are all running Runtronics ignitions which come in single & twin plug variants.
Not a simple plug & play as they will require some setting up.17 hours run time from 5 C cells that will happily fit inside the primary chain case where the stator used to go , you will have to make up a mounting plate.
It is a solid state amplifier so no external coil .
Mechanically tuneable directly off the crankshaft so no 1/2 time gear problems.
Last edited by BSA_WM20 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bike Beesa
Trevor
Shawn_Mc
>40
>40

Post by Shawn_Mc »

johnu wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:42 pm Thanks Shawn. You are the second person to recommend the Electrex so i will likely go with that. Is it simple to install and set up? Also where did you purchase it from. I see you are in SoCal as I am (Redlands).
I got it from Peter Quick at BSA Unit Singles. It really is easy to install. All you need to do is find actual TDC using a piston stop which is easy enough.

If you need a hand, I could help you out. I'm in Anaheim Hills. Basically the 91 and Imperial Hwy.

The hardest part was getting the grommet back through the hole in the case with the wires in it LOL...I mounted the coil on the bracket were there the old electrical box was using a short piece of 3/4 wide, 1/8th thick aluminum. It's got two wires...kinda hard to screw that up LOL... :ok
Current Bikes
1983 H o n d a CB1100F
2003 CRF450R
twinshocker
>100
>100

Post by twinshocker »

Electrex :thumb

beesa71
>340
>340

Post by beesa71 »

Trevor, can you post a link the Podtronics ignitions please.

Paul.
Shawn_Mc
>40
>40

Post by Shawn_Mc »

beesa71 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 am Trevor, can you post a link the Podtronics ignitions please.

Paul.
Now I'm curious.

Why the dislike of the Electrex? You're the second or third person I've seen try to steer someone away from the Electrex unit.

Why marry yourself to another magnetic pick up (assuming that's the route) wedged into the points case, a capacitor and an ignition box and a regulator/rectifier and the alternator?

The actual timing off the cam isn't more accurate than a crank trigger...in which the Electrex is, unless you simply dont trust the Electrex ignition curve. And being a "magneto" type, the spark gets stronger the faster the engine spins, as opposed to a point style (including a mag sensor) Kettering type ignition system.

I understand electronics quite well. I was a radar tech at Hughes Aircraft for over a decade and I taught automotive electronics for a brief while, so don't be afraid of talking over my head.

This is a genuine question, not a personal attack. I assume you know something I dont.
Current Bikes
1983 H o n d a CB1100F
2003 CRF450R
triton650
1-10
1-10

Post by triton650 »

Fitted electrexworld to 2 bikes great,fitted PVL ignition to my TR5MX cant get to start even on rollers very poor instuctions by Sammy Miller products.
johnu
>200
>200

Post by johnu »

So with the electrex I assume you can do away with the points and cam under the chrome cover on the right side of the engine.
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

Technical reasons in favour of one system over another are always interesting, individuals have a plethora of reasons why they prefer one system over another, these will include price, performance ease of fitting and adjustment, weight etc etc. Some will be able to express their opinions eloquently and some can't be arsed to spend time on a forum and would rather be fettling or riding their bikes. These are such versatile bikes, they are made to go fast, to be efficient, to be work horses and record breakers. There is no one best way of doing anything.

The written word can be very blunt and misunderstandings can easily occur especially if English isn't your native tongue.
The moderator always reads everything, and can out pi$$ anyone (except Rickard that is!).

All that said, I run standard points, Trispark, Volker Sachs with variable curve and an Interspan on various road bikes, they all work great.
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
Mike A
>60
>60

Post by Mike A »

With Electrex certainly remove the points assembly,not the cam itself though! if I remember correctly (been a few years since I did mine) you have to screw a bolt into the end of the cam to replace the fitting of the points, like a blanking plug, stick a bit of thread sealant on it to help keep everything oil tight.
Shawn_Mc
>40
>40

Post by Shawn_Mc »

I just took out the points. Left Everything else. Made a plug for wire.
Current Bikes
1983 H o n d a CB1100F
2003 CRF450R
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

You left the A/R mechanism in situ? Take it out and replace the bolt, it will only rust up and/or wear out.
BSA_WM20
>900
>900

Post by BSA_WM20 »

beesa71 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 am Trevor, can you post a link the Podtronics ignitions please.

Paul.
http://www.jeperformance.biz/runintro12.htm

Actually it was Run tronics .
Had a brain fart yesterday
Bike Beesa
Trevor
BSA_WM20
>900
>900

Post by BSA_WM20 »

Shawn_Mc wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Paul.
Now I'm curious.

Why the dislike of the Electrex? You're the second or third person I've seen try to steer someone away from the Electrex unit.

Why marry yourself to another magnetic pick up (assuming that's the route) wedged into the points case, a capacitor and an ignition box and a regulator/rectifier and the alternator?

The actual timing off the cam isn't more accurate than a crank trigger...in which the Electrex is, unless you simply dont trust the Electrex ignition curve. And being a "magneto" type, the spark gets stronger the faster the engine spins, as opposed to a point style (including a mag sensor) Kettering type ignition system.

I understand electronics quite well. I was a radar tech at Hughes Aircraft for over a decade and I taught automotive electronics for a brief while, so don't be afraid of talking over my head.

This is a genuine question, not a personal attack. I assume you know something I dont.
Sorry for the confusion.
Got the wrong "tronics"
Podtronics is of course a regulator rectifier made originally by Bob Keiser
Runtronics is a solid state amplified electronic ignition system that does not use an external coil .
In fact you can fit the whole unit inside an old coil case.
We were going to put them on the market like that decades go.
And yes it is a crank timed ignition .
Rode a B44 fitted with one and it did make a big difference to the performance
However it did require a bit of reworking of the carb
Whole thing, including batteries fitted inside the primary replacing the alternator.
Bike Beesa
Trevor
BSA_WM20
>900
>900

Post by BSA_WM20 »

BSA_WM20 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:18 pm
Shawn_Mc wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Paul.
Now I'm curious.

Sorry for the confusion.
Got the wrong "tronics"
Podtronics is of course a regulator rectifier made originally by Bob Keiser
Runtronics is a solid state amplified electronic ignition system that does not use an external coil .
It is a total loss system that runs off 5 C sized Ni-cads or some standard torch batteries.
In fact you can fit the whole unit inside an old coil case.
We were going to put them on the market like that decades go.
And yes it is a crank timed ignition .
Rode a B44 fitted with one and it did make a big difference to the performance
However it did require a bit of reworking of the carb
Whole thing, including batteries fitted inside the primary replacing the alternator.
The B44 got about 20 hours of running from a single charge
The original T 100 was only good for 17 hours .
BAsically it s hall effect trigger hooked up to an amplifier and the high voltage is then passed through a small step up coil the size of a cotton reel totally enclosed.
It throws cluster spark so there is never a missed engine cycle .

I have nothing against the electrix and if the poster wanted a plug & play unit I would not have posted but he askd for the best & I believe this to be the best, Stan was not a big fan so if you search for Runtronics it should bring the posts up.
On that story any one heard from Stan reciently ?
Bike Beesa
Trevor
FGF
>100
>100

Post by FGF »

Hello ,

in 2012 , '' scootin newton'' asked for the Sachse ZDG3 electronic ignition .

the discussion was hot.
Minetymenace used it on a Moto Guzzi , but no one on a B50.

since , has anyone used a Sachse ZDG3 electronic ignition on a B50 with good vibrations ?

it interest me because my outer case has been machined to repair the pillar bolts threads and the ZDG3 stator has no centering
on the background of the case. The other ones have often two magnets that have to be centered i think for a good work.
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

Pretty sure the ZDG3 for singles has only one magnet. The distance between the magnet and the Hall effect sensor needs to be controlled and circuit board that the sensor is mounted on is designed to fit in place of the points back plate and is centred by the timing side case. If the pillar mounting holes are not in the right place following a repair, you may find that the slots in the new PCB will not line up.

It is probably best to get the mounting holes sorted and in the right place before trying to force a €300 ignition system into a badly repaired case!
FGF
>100
>100

Post by FGF »

Thanks for your advises ,

I phone to AGEX this morning.

The ZDG3 has changed . It uses magnetic sensor now.
The website is old for BSA 's one, i use a ducati 's picture that is nearly the same.
Ducati single ( like BSA B50 ...)
Ducati single ( like BSA B50 ...)
i think the stator can be centered around the rotor with the gaps we can see.

it seems to be very close from the Trispark about performances , but if someone has tested it ?
johnu
>200
>200

Post by johnu »

twinshocker wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:42 am Electrex :thumb

I want that clutch, where did you purchase it and what is the cost?
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

NEB made the clutch.
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

PES make something similar

May need a new mainshaft, my NEB clutch is on a splined rather than tapered mainshaft. PES available in for both splined and tapered.

£400 - £500 (good old Great British pounds not USD)

Probably going to shave these posts off to "Parts Wanted" in a bit as they are <910 ....
twinshocker
>100
>100

Post by twinshocker »

Yes its a NEB as said before.
I think it is also available with taper or spline