Firing Up tr5 For First Time In Years

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

johnu
>200
>200

Firing Up tr5 For First Time In Years

Post by johnu »

Ok so I bought this tr5 for a project and I intend to strip the engine at some point but I plan on firing it first, just for peace of mind to know that it runs. The person I bought it from said the engine had been rebuilt shortly before the bike was mothballed 20 odd years ago. I had a quick look in through the exhaust port and it looks virtually new in there. I got it wired back up and have a spark. I'm rebuilding the carb with the stay up kit with float and valve, new needle jet, needle, main jet, and o rings etc. I also cleaned out the pilot.

What else should I do before attempting to start the bike? I know I have to fill the frame with oil but I was wondering if I should maybe rinse the frame (oil tank) out with something first.

John.
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
BSA A10 Road Rocket (RGS Rep)
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
skippy
>1400
>1400

Re: Firing Up tr5 For First Time In Years

Post by skippy »

You will be amazed what crap can be in the frame i rinsed mine with diesel and finished with petrol making sure the fumes had gone before putting it back together.
Doug
Should never have sold them old motorbikes
mlb50
>220
>220

Post by mlb50 »

Good idea is to remove the fuel tank and petcocks. A lot of fine rust can acrue over time and has a bad habit of clogging the carb.
Block the petcock holes, put a handfull of small screws n nuts inside and pour 2 pints of metholated spirit or kerosine inside and shake it about for a 5 or 10 minutes. Drain it off and rinse with fresh petrol.
Blow out the petcocks from the feed pipe so the crap flies off the filter screens. Use new fibre washers.
If the fuel hoses are aged hard, worth replacing. I've just done the above treatment to a Commando laid up since 1979.
B50 @ 10:1 - what's a leg between friends?
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

When you fill it with oil kick it over (plug out, not on any stand) until you get a return (best get someone else to kick it over, suggest a teenager).
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

An alternative to the Teenager (nasty asymptomatic virus carriers ;) ) just remove the spark plug and then kick as much as you like.
johnu
>200
>200

Post by johnu »

minetymenace wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:30 am When you fill it with oil kick it over (plug out, not on any stand) until you get a return (best get someone else to kick it over, suggest a teenager).
Ok thanks, I was wondering how to check for oil circulation, didn't think kicking it over would be enough to move it around. My boy is 24 so he will be doing all of the kicking :lol:

Also for right now i will be using a plastic auxiliary fuel tank so that won't be an issue.

Appreciate the replies.
John.
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
midgie
>1300
>1300

Post by midgie »

I would strip the motor now, and clean the frame out then you know for sure that all is well. Firing it up without doing this could be costly.
skippy
>1400
>1400

Post by skippy »

My bike had been fired up buy the importer without checks and sold to someone else, then i got it. It ran for about 150 miles and started losing compression. It had rust in the cylinder which acted as grinding paste Thankfully there was no problems with the bottom end and gearbox except for the output bearing on the gearbox.
Doug
johnu
>200
>200

Post by johnu »

Well me and my boy spent a couple of hours working on the 500 today. We almost had it running, it ran for a couple of seconds two or three times but our legs were knackered after that :mrgreen: It's tricky getting it to turn over fast enough! I have a chain to put on it but I have to get a connecting link so we can try bump starting it. Definitely have oil pumping around the engine which we checked before trying to start it.
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
Barry Creary
>1200
>1200

Post by Barry Creary »

After I rebuilt my B50 I couldn’t start it and checked everything more than twice even timing with a disc this went on for a month even checked with try-spark if they had any faults with the ignition then one day I just got it in the right position just passed tdc with exhaust valve just touching tappet and just like that fired up after that I can start first or second kick every time <216
johnu
>200
>200

Post by johnu »

Barry Creary wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:29 am After I rebuilt my B50 I couldn’t start it and checked everything more than twice even timing with a disc this went on for a month even checked with try-spark if they had any faults with the ignition then one day I just got it in the right position just passed tdc with exhaust valve just touching tappet and just like that fired up after that I can start first or second kick every time <216
I think you are right, it's all about getting the technique right!
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
Barry Creary
>1200
>1200

Post by Barry Creary »

Yes it’s not how hard you can kick the position is critical to the starting process I think it was Komando that gave me the right process
madsundaysurvivor
>180
>180

Post by madsundaysurvivor »

In my 4-stroke English motorcycles, when the engine is cold, first a kick with the ignition cut off, then I look for the compression point and I give the good kick, it starts the first time, whenever the static ignition advance, carb mixed screw wll be in good adjust. If you have choke system must use....
if you use amal mk1, flood it, this I use for the t120 when you haven't been booting for weeks. with the b25 for me it is not necessary.
for the b44vs I don't know, I'll find out when I'm done restoring the engine
johnu
>200
>200

Post by johnu »

Talking to my boy today, we are going to have another go at kicking it into life this week! I could kick my dads Goldstar into life first of second kick so we must be able to get this one going! He just doesn't have the finese yet with the throttle when she fires!
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

The B50 is closer to a Velocette than a Goldstar, this is due to the light flywheel and low gearing from kickstarter to crank. That makes it very difficult to put energy into the flywheel, so you need not just to just get it over TDC but go a bit further before giving the big kick, not so far that you come up against compression before the kickstarter reaches the end of its stoke but just enough so the flywheel speed is enough with its own inertia to take it past the next TDC. Pazon's ignition can be problematical as they need to get to a second TDC, but that's another story.
johnu
>200
>200

Post by johnu »

kommando wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:32 pm The B50 is closer to a Velocette than a Goldstar, this is due to the light flywheel and low gearing from kickstarter to crank. That makes it very difficult to put energy into the flywheel, so you need not just to just get it over TDC but go a bit further before giving the big kick, not so far that you come up against compression before the kickstarter reaches the end of its stoke but just enough so the flywheel speed is enough with its own inertia to take it past the next TDC. Pazon's ignition can be problematical as they need to get to a second TDC, but that's another story.
Ok thanks, I'll give it a try. My dad had Velo's as well and they were a bear to get started if you didn't get it just right!
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
ghislain
>460
>460

Post by ghislain »

Agree ! I ride a VMT too ...and B50 is very much easyer to bring to life !!! :thumb
65' C15S
67'B40E
71'B50SS
johnu
>200
>200

Post by johnu »

Got her running today :thumb the two key things, getting kickstart in the right spot (very easy) and setting idle up high. I did have to tickle it a bit when it first started to keep it running at first.
https://youtu.be/ykYXfmkBRWI
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500
skippy
>1400
>1400

Post by skippy »

On my bike i found keeping the idle mixture up a little richer helped starting easier.
Doug
johnu
>200
>200

Post by johnu »

skippy wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:47 pm On my bike i found keeping the idle mixture up a little richer helped starting easier.
I forgot I changed the mixture screw from 1 1/2 turns out to just 1 turn out also.
KTM 350sxf
KTM 500exc
TR5mx
S*zuki GT500