Amal vs Wassell carburetor

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

beat
>1400
>1400

Re: Amal vs Wassell carburetor

Post by beat »

fastharry wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:20 pm You do not need to drill out the choke/enrichner jet on a Mikuni!
fastharry wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:20 pm You need to make it smaller.
this corresponds with what I do read on my Lambda A/F Reader at my Mik TM32 Flatslide.

:thumb :thumb
:thumb
Mr Mike
>900
>900

Post by Mr Mike »

I have decided against converting to the Mik. Mine is a 32 mm roundslide. Not only will I have to resolve the issue of an unknown orifice modification for the enricher circuit, there Is also an interference between the steel web that reinforces the frame and he mouth of the carb. After cutting that away I,willl have to adapt the attachment piece I made for my K&N filter. The 32 mm Amal is tuned well and starts easily when cold. The set up is 250 main jet, .106 needle jet, needle in mid position and a #3 slide. The head is ported to match the 32mm carb and the exhaust is 1.5 inches It runs like a scalded dog and I am not going to let my curiosity for the Mikuni get in the way of something that is working very well.

On another note, I fell off a ladder two days ago and cracked a rib. I won't be able to start or ride a the bke for a couple weeks.. At 77 I shouldn't be on bikes or ladders.

Cheers

Mr Mike
skippy
>1400
>1400

Post by skippy »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:45 pm On another note, I fell off a ladder two days ago and cracked a rib. I won't be able to start or ride a the bke for a couple weeks.. At 77 I shouldn't be on bikes or ladders.
As i get older i find it more important to be able to start my bike than have it going as fast as possible. As such i have no idea how fast it will go and i don't care to know, as it is against the law on the roads i ride on.
As i get older Ladders become more scarier. <910
Doug
Should never have sold them old motorbikes
Mr Mike
>900
>900

Post by Mr Mike »

On a side line....It was mentioned earlier in this thread that this site was getting like Facebook. Nothing could be farther from the truth. This site is the very best source of good technical information regarding the B50 that there is. This thread is a perfect example. It is well monitored, very civil, and it has helped me put together a real stud of a motorbike from boxes of rusted up parts. Facebook on the other hand is for those that have nothing better to do with their time. I made the mistake of joining Facebook to get some information regarding a nearby event I wanted to attend. What a mistake...every day my phone beeps several times each day with people I don't even know that want me visit their page to talk about what I am having for supper. Ohhh well, I guess I am just showing my age, but Ii am thankful this site is still in operation and while I no longer have a stable full of BSA's I still ride that B50 stud of mine from time to time.

Cheer's
Mr Mike
2manyrides
>580
>580

Post by 2manyrides »

Off topic too...
Plus one. Great site, long time enthusiast.

I once signed up for facebook, canceled next day after being hit-up over and over.
I am willing to miss out on what it has to offer.
2many
72 B50SS bought in 74, I'm the second owner
74 TR5MX bought in 77-new, I'm the original owner

Which one to ride today?
beat
>1400
>1400

Post by beat »

I am happy to not evan know what facebook is !

on the other hand, I know what ladders are, so I keep away if possible,- in opposite to the B50 !

BTW, the starter circuit on a carburettor: It is made with a FIX JET, - but the temperature it has to serve is very variable!
may go from minus 20° C to plus 20° Celsius, and a fix jet is not able to get it right everywhere !
I guess, Mikunis are commonly jeted for very low temps, ( around -10° C ), so they are to rich around 0 ore evan + 10 ° C.

IMO, this is why they do not start well ore it needs a slightly open trottle valve to get them alive.

beat <201