rocker box cap screws

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

jim-nz
>40
>40

rocker box cap screws

Post by jim-nz »

Hi i am hoping to find out rocker box fasteners work when fitting a long carillo connecting rod. Do the all need to be counterbored cap screws flush with where the nuts usually seat or is that only for certain screws.
Barry Creary
>1200
>1200

Re: rocker box cap screws

Post by Barry Creary »

When I did the conversion I just heli-coiled and put fibre washers under the head :thumb
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Post by minetymenace »

"all need" probably not, but for aesthetics normally all fixing screws for a cover match! Replacing the studs/nuts with bolts (Allen and counter-bored) means you should be able to get the rocker box off without removing the engine (even with a long rod).
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
Barry Creary
>1200
>1200

Post by Barry Creary »

Yep minety that’s exactly why I did it had the head off many times to fix the leaks as I’m sure lots of others have 🥺
Momus
>160
>160

Post by Momus »

Barry Creary wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:32 am When I did the conversion I just heli-coiled and put fibre washers under the head :thumb
You should join a circus Barry.
If you love it, lube it.
jim-nz
>40
>40

Post by jim-nz »

Okay thanks for the replys.

So what i am taking from this is that i do have to use screws instead of studs and nuts if i want to be able to get the rocker box off with the engine in the frame.

I thought one of the reasons for this also was that a long rod engine could not be fitted into the frame with the rocker box on and it needed to be fitted once the motor was in the frame. is this not the case?