pattern tricon switch

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Rothonp
1-10
1-10

pattern tricon switch

Post by Rothonp »

I am rewiring my 1970 Victor Special and have bought a pattern tricon switch. When I fit the switch to the handlebar the horn contact touches and earths on the handlebar sounding the horn. This is the second switch with the same issue. Do I need to file the switch contact to provide some clearance so the contact doesn't touch the bar? or is there something else I should be doing?

many TIA
:???: `
kommando
>1400
>1400

Re: pattern tricon switch

Post by kommando »

I put a piece of inner tube under the switch.
crankbuster
>340
>340

Post by crankbuster »

TriconContacts.png
Wipac tricon contact arrangement
Rothonp
1-10
1-10

Post by Rothonp »

thanks for your response. I've had a good look and have put a small piece of plastic tube into the switch (secured with a stick!) to keep the contacts off the handlebar see attached pix. I think this will work (tests ok) but I'm not too happy with it so I've ordered a different type of switch off ebay.
Attachments
IMG_1657.JPG
IMG_1655.JPG
crankbuster
>340
>340

Post by crankbuster »

Interesting, you have put a pin through the unused terminal position. The Triconsol switch used these extra terminals for the electric start button. I would like to understand what is different in the pattern switch. Is the contact a different shape, or is the plastic boss missing? Can’t see how, in the Wipac, the contact can touch the bars without the button being pressed.
Tricon.png
Rothonp
1-10
1-10

Post by Rothonp »

thanks for your comments.
I think the problem is that the contact strip (possibly copper) does not have enough 'spring or resilience memory' to come back from the handlebar after being pressed so the small bore plastic tubing over the pin is compressible and is resilient enough to bring the contact off the bars. Disappointing that I have to strip the switch (brand new switch - second brand new switch - both the same issue) and put in a home made fix to get the switch to function correctly.
I'll keep the switch as a spare I've ordered a different design of switch hopefully that'll work.
BasilF
>100
>100

Post by BasilF »

Sounds like they used annealed copper to make the contacts. If you could remove the contacts and spend a few minutes taping them with a hammer you might give them enough springiness to work properly.
crankbuster
>340
>340

Post by crankbuster »

Ah, that's it, I think that the Wipac used Beryllium Copper, more expensive.
Rothonp
1-10
1-10

Post by Rothonp »

what I've done today is to replace the copper? contact strips with material from the spring from an old set of points! - that seems to be ok - it does test ok lot of fiddling about with brand new kit ...I'll still check the other new switch when it arrives and if it's better that's the one ~I'll use.
thanks very much for your comments and help
tridentperu
>40
>40

Post by tridentperu »

I had exactly the same problem with a pattern Tricon, so I filed a bit off the end of the contacts and it now works fine. I did complain to the suppliers who sent me another one that is still in it's bag

The contacts did seem to lack springiness, but were clearly just a tad too long

Jim
Rothonp
1-10
1-10

Post by Rothonp »

received the Lucas switch 31563 today the quality seems better and the horn works ok out of the box so I'll use this one and keep the other 2 as spares.
Many thanks for your comments and help.
Rothonp
1-10
1-10

Post by Rothonp »

Tip for Lucas switch 31563:
I put the latest switch (Lucas 31563) on the handlebars connected up switched on and the wire taking power to the switch started to smoke and melt! a dead short! The problem turned out to be the radius on the switch is too big for a 7/8" bar so when the switch is tightened up the body of the switch cut through the wires see pix. I replaced the melted wire and put a piece of rubber between the bar and switch - all tested OK. I don't know if you can get a different switch for 1" or 7/8" handlebars.
P.S.( I've now put fuses on all of the power supplies!...
switch short.jpg
switch bar radius.jpg
)