b44 trials engine ?

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Andy Johnstone
>20
>20
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

b44 trials engine ?

Post by Andy Johnstone » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 am

good morning folks ,
has anyone done this with a b44 ? i have an engine which i would like to put in a trials chassis , do you use all the engine ? swop cranks ?, casings ? also gearbox would need to be close ratio ? cylinder head work ? etc etc

many thanks for your replies
andy

Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400
Flag: Sao Tome & Principe

Re: b44 trials engine ?

Post by Ian Hingley » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:22 am

Hi Andy

Depends what your ambitions are trials-wise. The Victor engine isn't great for outright plonking. BSA tried it back in the day, but reverted back to the B40 engine. The B40 reckoned to have the right balance of extractable power, plonkability , torque and grip. If you're aiming at full-on 'modern' pre-65 trials a B40 engine might be your best bet. I'll take the B44 off your hands... I know B44 alloy barrels are used by the B40 boys to save some weight after suitable deck height considerations.

I do the MCC 'classic' Long Distance Trials on my 66 Victor Enduro. It's a pretty competitive bike in these as there's not much tight nadgery stuff and a bit more wind it on stuff. There's lots of road work so you need something pretty versatile. The engine's pretty much standard, but with a lower first gear.

I used to do shorter 'one-day' LDTs on it too. These had less road work but much harder sections. Bike was probably fine, but they exceeded my riding ability...

Cheers

Ian b44icon IHOSMILE
66 BSA Victor Enduro, 72 BSA Lightning, 62 BSA B40 trials, 2015 Truimph Street Twin, 89 H*nda Bros 650, 2000 Aprilia Moto 6.5 Starck