441 Left Foot Peg installation procedure

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Winsur44
>60
>60
Flag: United States of America

441 Left Foot Peg installation procedure

Post by Winsur44 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:12 pm

I got a rude awaking when the left foot peg suddenly went forward and depressed the brake pedal. Here is how I installed the foot peg:
1. The foot peg threads were stripped on the outer nut when I got the B44. The peg was standing at 0 degrees (straight up) so I had to adjust it.
2. I had to crack the nut to remove the peg foot rest stud.
3. Found a foot rest stud in my stash, cleaned it up with my bead blaster and cleaned the thread in the frame.
4. I made sure that the small end would completely thread into the frame.
5. Mounted the foot rest on the stud and hand tightened it to where I felt the small end threads were tight in the frame.
6. I then put the foot rest positioned at about 11:00 and installed the lock plate, washers and torqued the foot rest nut to about 25 pounds.

While driving in the dirt, I did a small jump while standing on the pegs, and peg went a bit forward and applied the rear break bringing me to a skidding halt. I am thinking that I did not have the foot rest stud completely in the frame, and that with my weight and the force of landing the peg moved an inch or so forward, and applied the brake. I have devised a new procedure to avoid this happening again, but I cannot find any information on the proper torque for the foot rest nut.

Any suggestions about how to make sure the peg cannot go forward? It is a (7/16" B.S.C)
Proper torque value for the Foot rest nut? It is a (7/16" B.S.C) I have an original BSA 441 workshop manual, and it does not list the torque for the foot rest nut.
Blue Loctite? (I would rather not use any thread lock.)

The previous owner had either over torqued the nut, or tried to remove it thinking it was a RH thread. This stripped the threads. I don't want to over torque the nut, as I only had one spare stud.
Association does not prove the cause
USNOA 2062
75 Commando
74 R90R/6
74 R90S
72 Ducati 250
72 BSA B50SS B50 Cafe
72 BSA B50T
08 V*trom 1000
67 Hond* S90
74 Triumph TR50MX
Piles of 250 parts and rolling chassis.