Speedometer Cable Lube?

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

Jeff K
>1300
>1300
Flag: United States of America

Speedometer Cable Lube?

Post by Jeff K » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:20 am

The the Speedo drive on the TR5T had a blown out end cap/cone. I pulled the cable and found it froze up and broken just above the cylinder head. The TR5T has a very bad angle for the cable, it exits the frame neck and does a 90 degree bend. The OIF 250's have a gentler bend. I think it is due to the muffler being mounted under the swing arm, making the cable go long the top on the TR5T. I had a NOS replacement, and I greased it up and laid it where it will go. But the cable turns too hard for my liking (Not mounted to drive or Speedo). I am going to pull it and degrease it. I will then either use a very light grease or heavy oil. What does everyone else use?
Jeff

SteveS
>540
>540
Flag: England

Re: Speedometer Cable Lube?

Post by SteveS » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:21 am

Hi Jeff

I believe you are meant to use a light grease as you said but invariably I have used whatever is to hand. Last time I used some gearbox oil (EP90), not noticed any problems. Others may know better.

There are a number of BSA's and Triumph's that seem to experience tight bends in the cable which can cause premature failure of the inner cable. I like to keep my cables out of sight but sometimes the best route means they are very visible which I'm not a fan of. I prefer clean lines. On occasion I have removed the armoured (spiral) protection from the speedo end to get a better fit but you need to be careful as you can end up making a pinch point in the cable as the cable leaves the speedo or worse put unnecessary pressure on the speedo mechanism and cause a more expensive failure :oops:

As you will know a lot of the earlier pre-unit models used a right angle drive at the speedo head. I don't have personal experience to know if it helped?
Steve Sewell

BSA_WM20
>900
>900
Flag: Australia

Post by BSA_WM20 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:52 pm

The only thing I lube any cable, throttle, clutch, brake or speedo is Tri-Lube dry cable lubricant .
You get it from push bike shops
being a British Bike rider you might need to take some smelling salts & a fried to help you recover when they tell you the price but a little goes a very Looooooog way .
Probably lubed 300 or more cables from a 4oz bottle.
Helps if you clean the cable in kerro first to get rid of all of the crud that has accumulated over the years.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Jeff K
>1300
>1300
Flag: United States of America

Post by Jeff K » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:55 pm

Back in the 1970's and my dirt bike days, I used to use powered Graphite. You could get a small green bellows full of it at any key shop and it worked gets. Lots of mud and sand where we used to ride and any grease or oil would attract it.
Here is a newer version of it.
https://www.amazon.com/Powdered-Graphit ... B00ENQ3BAI
Jeff