2manyrides
>580
>580
Has thanked: 0
Flag: United States of America

bike cam TR5MX trial run and failure

Post by 2manyrides » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:20 am

Hi Fellow B50 riders,
I have always wanted to record the sights and sounds of my rides. In previous years using a quite large video 8 camcorder I would just hang it around my neck and raise it up with my left hand, shifting with out a clutch during dirt rides on my XR. Although a B50 can be shifted without the clutch, it's not so smooth, and could be ill fated as well. (I remember the time I lost a tooth on the third gear slider in the tranny of my SS).
Now, technology has greatly improved, but not my methods! Here we see an attempt to capture video.
A sony mvc cd400 mounted directly to the handlebars! With this set up the camera had a hard time capturing the action due to vibration. So much so that much of the footage was lost. After realizing that, I returned to the hand held method using the same camera.
Those of you who get dizzy with shaking motion don't watch!

72 B50SS bought in 74, I'm the second owner
74 TR5MX bought in 77-new, I'm the original owner

Which one to ride today?

b50root
Site Admin
Site Admin
Flag: Scania Sweden

Re: bike cam TR5MX trial run and failure

Post by b50root » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Lovely. The hand held is so much better.

I think I will try our helmet cam from work.

Rickard
nebrer on EBAY
nebrer at skype ( http://www.skype.com )

2manyrides
>580
>580
Has thanked: 0
Flag: United States of America

Re: run and failure

Post by 2manyrides » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Yes of course, the ridgid mounting transfers too much vibration.
Since then I have developed a "hands free technoligy" that does work well. I'm too cheap to go out and buy a helmet cam...maybe some day.
Here is the mount...
video hands free bracket.jpg
Using a bungee cord to hold the bracket to my chest I can see the screen and operate the camera.
video hands free.jpg
I have been using it with a tiny hard drive handycam. It has been a very successful and a cheap solution in regtards to components I already had on hand.
Recording in a 16.9 aspect ratio, and sometimes using a teleconversion lens, you really get the big picture and high quality video. As well, this unit does not destroy the audio sound. You hear the wind yet the bike too. (below 40mph)
But so far the drawbacks have been in the editing/formating.
Seems my computer will need quite a bit of updating to deal with these files. (more ram, gig space)
I have hours of the footage from that set up but can't show it to you. :(
And with a helmet cam when you turn your head the veiwer sees that too. This set up just keeps looking ahead no matter how good the scenery is off to the right!
72 B50SS bought in 74, I'm the second owner
74 TR5MX bought in 77-new, I'm the original owner

Which one to ride today?