Moderator: minetymenace

Barkstar
>80
>80
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

B44 Victor Grand Prix Rear Mudguard

Post by Barkstar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Has anyone got a B44 Grand Prix rear mudguard I can borrow to get one made?
Or does anyone know someone who has a GP that's intact and might be persuaded to help?
Any leads would be good.

The guard is very specific to the GP and you can't mod a std alloy guard to fit as the GPs is a 7" wide C section. It has a distinct beak and isn't very long as the back of the airbox is effectively the lower half of the guard. I've a couple of leads to get one made - or even a short run but a few pics and the frame ain't enough. It doesn't have to be in great nick but whatever I'd look to doing the collection return etc myself - they really are too rare to trust to a courier.
Of course if you've got one for sale....

It's about as long a shot as you get but.....

Chris

Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400
Flag: Sao Tome & Principe

Re: B44 Victor Grand Prix Rear Mudguard

Post by Ian Hingley » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Mike Wadsworth has at least one Victor GP. Not seen him around for a while though.

Think he's on this forum occasionally, probably as GPvictor or similar.

Ian

Barkstar
>80
>80

Post by Barkstar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:54 pm

Cheers Ian

I've been in contact with Mike in the past but the last couple of emails have gone unanswered. I'll give him another go.

I got an interesting reply to an email to Autocycle in Birmingham. They have the old Speedwell mudguard making kit, hoped they might have the right profile to work with.

'The 7" version is no longer made but bear in mind the VGP was also made with 6" D-section guards. One was 6" x 2 1/4" , the other type 5 3/4" x 2 1/4". BSA would change suppliers dependant on who they owed money to and would fit any suitable guards that were in stock to save waiting for suppliers. The comp-spec bikes were the worst and especially export models (we know - we were their main suppliers in the 60's) If yours is definately a 7" , you can split and weld two narrower guard.'

I don't like to doubt an old company but I've never seen a pic of a GP that doesn't seem to have the distinct guard and none with a d-section guard. The two they've suggested wouldn't fit the mounts on the frame very well, the mounts are 6" wide. All the pics clearly show the guard extends well beyond the mount as above. Which isn't to say the all the frames were identical. But given the small production run and that they went to the trouble of having a unique guard made it seems odd they didn't order in enough of the guard to cover the bikes made . That said we are talking handmade bikes here and period pics of the production GPs seem really few and far between - clearly you can't trust works bikes pics.

The search goes on.

Chris

rocket3@jps.net
1-10
1-10

Post by rocket3@jps.net » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Ian,

Please count me in if you make a run of rear mudguards for the B44GP. Mine is missing both mudguards but has most of the other unique items to the GP model.

Cheers,
Barry

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Post by minetymenace » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:48 pm

<135 to the forum rocket3@jps.net, would you update your profile and let us know roughly where in the world you are please? I guess another Ozzi..

gpvictor
>20
>20
Flag: Great Britain

Post by gpvictor » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Is it time to revive this again before we start dying off ?
I'm sorry Barkstar if I didn't reply to emails a while ago - it wasn't deliberate. I try always to reply on [Edit by MM: email address removed, please use button on the right] but sometimes a little tardily.
I am the only man I know who has an original GP mudguard but it is a bit battered. I dragged it up to Brum with my mate Vic Vaughan who remembers there was a pile of the things in the corner of the comp shop which you grabbed a handful of everytime you went up there if you were works supported. Anyway we went to see the t**t that owns Autocycle (next door to Alpha bearings) who claims to have bought all the old machinery for making mudguards and who informed me without even looking at mine that complete beaded edge guards had not been made since the thirties. We left him shouting the odds about how clever and important he was.
Vic got a couple for me off a chap in the midlands who I would have thought would have known what's what but they are wrong - not flat enough and not metal beaded all around - what to do? I thought to revive this thread as a couple of bits are available now - I have had some brake bosses cast - see http://www.gpvictor.com (look under services - where you will also see you can get ally fork shrouds - and he has even had the rubber inserts made - but he is in the States - I have ordered a couple of sets. Anyone interested ?
I am going to try to get the airboxes made again - Adrian Moss used to get them done but I think his supplier got old and sick - sad because they were spot on. Roger Ennis had a look for me but he is just too busy - I am trying to line up my mate Fibreglass John who did Pat French's work and who now does Lotus Formula Junior and the like stuff (and Pitts Special nosecones and wheelspats but he hates doing model helicopter blades!) So if anyone is interested or can offer any ideas - lets go - maybe we can start making some other bits - like barrels and heads for the pre-B50 works motors or GP brake pedals and footrests.
Last edited by minetymenace on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: E-mail address removed to help prevebt massive spam on that address. If you want to email, please use the email button on the left and make sure your profile email is correct...or if you are not worried about spam, edit the email address back in again!