Grayham
>80
>80
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Flag: Great Britain

Most of a Victor GP

Post by Grayham » Sat May 23, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm starting with this, a genuine GP frame with a C15 engine.

I'll need a round barrel 441 engine for a start. I'll see if I can salvage the forks and hubs.
Signature removed on legal advice.

gpvictor
>20
>20

Re: Most of a Victor GP

Post by gpvictor » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:11 am

How far have you got?

Grayham
>80
>80

Post by Grayham » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:04 am

Funny you should ask, as this arrived today. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291529528761

I've also bought a square barrel B44 engine and an abandoned C15 trials project as it had the correct rear hub and drum/sprocket, then, while rummaging through my stock of old truck, Land Rover and bike stuff, I found a B40 cylinder head, so the correct round barrel is next on my shopping list.

I'm still not decided on exactly what to do with the bike. I definitely want to race it and I'd like to keep it as close to original as I can, but I know that as soon as I get left behind in my first race, I'm going to blame it on the bike and wish I'd fitted alloy hubs, better forks, a 500cc barrel, a three speed 'box etc.
On the other hand, I've raced a single speed mountain bike as a veteran and it's a great feeling beating riders half my age using gears, so it could be fun racing a similarly uncompetitive motorbike.
Maybe I'll have a proper go at racing in pre-74 and pre-78/twinshock on the Cheney and CCM and treat the pre-65 races as a sort of fast vintage parade.
Last edited by b50root on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made the link right

gpvictor
>20
>20

Post by gpvictor » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:08 am

The tank you have is not right for a GP - the recess for the frame tube is not cut away enough. You had, I believe a B50 tank on it originally which, although it doesn't look right , at least fits (the cutaway is too big on a B50 tank). You should easily get your money back on the one you bought off ebay.
May I suggest you get the frame checked by mojomotorbikes. He isn't expensive and has these frames in his jig quite often. He will also get the swinging arm out for you which has probably seized solid. (he bores the spindle out).
Look after it - these bikes handle really sweetly when treated right. Don't worry about being left behind - a well sorted 350 engined bike will keep up with anything (you don't need all the trick stuff yet) and above all you will enjoy riding it.
Why don't you use the square barrel? Some of the works riders used them in the GP frame in 1967/8.

Grayham
>80
>80

Post by Grayham » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Thanks for the info on the tank. I'm not really at the stage were I need a fuel tank, I just bought it because it turned up at a reasonable price and I wasn't aware they were different.
I'd found Mojo's web site while looking for Victor stuff and will get in touch with them at some point. They're only about 25 miles away.
I like the look of the round barrel. It just looks right to me.
I'm not too bothered about having a competitive bike, even a standard Victor should have an advantage over a lot of the pre-unit bikes in the Pre65 class.
Last edited by minetymenace on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: link added :)