The first to post in paint...done today! What do you think?

Moderator: minetymenace

Forum rules
Please write in easy English so everybody understand.
2manyrides
>580
>580
Has thanked: 0
Flag: United States of America

The first to post in paint...done today! What do you think?

Post by 2manyrides » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:31 am

Painted a tank with rattle cans. The end result has it's inperfections but turned out well.
The goal was to paint an extra tank with #1 some graphics, #2 be able to run a tank bag on it with out worrying about scratching or dulling my current paint job, #3 not pay to have it done by a pro.
The current paint job was painted in 1984. At that time I had 2 tanks, 4 fenders, and 4 side covers all painted the same midnight blue. I have yet to need the spares as the current ones have survived the years. Still I didn't want to mess up the 1984 stuff, so I got out a 3rd tank and tested my skills on it. Link to that thread;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2392&start=0
Here's a 4th tank, epoxy primered. I had ended up going back for another can. One can can coat a whole tank nicely though, if all goes well.
tw0.jpg
I had some touch up paint from jerry's paint for my blue color. We used that formula and I chose some red and white. I got some two part epoxy clear.
tw1.jpg
I painted the whole tank blue, then taped that off an hour later to paint the white, then taped that off an hour later to paint the red pinstripes. I came back later and peeled back some tape.
The blue doesn't seem right, and I'm not so sure I want that white on there.
tw2.jpg
There was some sanding needed and I accidently sanded through the color!
I'll have to get more blue. I took my side cover down to jerry's paint, they photographed it and anilyzed it. They came up with a new formula for the blue. I taped off the white and painted the blue on again.
tw3.jpg
That's when I changed horses in the middle of the stream and did red with white pinstripes. All this taping and painting...I wasn't even measuring any longer, just eyeing it. I didn't want to sand anything before the clear, but I had to, and I did it very carefuly so as to not sand through again. I'm out of blue!
I let that 3 color job cure for two weeks then it was time for the clear. It went fine and it was time to set the vinyls into place. I trimed them down closer to the letters from their rectangle shape and pre pealed a corner of the backing off each. I then used two strips of scotch blue tape side by side as a gauge parallel to the curve along the bottom of the tank and applied them to the center of the red area just above the tape. This time being careful to keep finger prints off them. I got them on, not perfect mind you. There were issues with both but not so bad that I'd have to remove them. Putting the stickers on is the hardest part.
So now the final clear coat! I sprayred it on and it was looking good. I finished up the spray and oooh! it's running! Runs in five spots, some close to the decals! I carfuly sanded them the next morning taking the high spots down most of the way. I went down to jerry's paint again!
Those cans of clear are 22 dollars! I came back and painted more clear over the sanded clear coat, this time successful.
tw5.jpg
tw6.jpg
This newly painted tank is going to put the old unit to pasture if it holds up.
tw7.jpg
I cleaned up the bike a bit and installed the tank with a new set of petcocks. Took her out for a spin including the local Cycle Gear shop. When I left the store I found the SS was having it's picture taken by a fellow rider.
I hope now that the strong, impervious to chemicals, expensive paint job will hold up to the vibrations of a magnetic tank bag better than the "test tank" did with regular clear paint from the hardware store!
tw8.jpg
72 B50SS bought in 74, I'm the second owner
74 TR5MX bought in 77-new, I'm the original owner

Which one to ride today?

minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1
Flag: England

Re: The first to post in paint...done today! What do you think?

Post by minetymenace » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:41 am

I envy those who have the patience to make things soooomth and shiney. Very nice.
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.

Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400
Flag: Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Ian Hingley » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:46 am

Me too MM!
Nice job 2MR!
66 BSA Victor Enduro, 72 BSA Lightning, 62 BSA B40 trials, 89 H*nda Bros 650, 96 Aprilia Moto 6.5, 2000 Aprilia Moto 6.5

beat
>1400
>1400
Flag: Switzerland

Post by beat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:10 pm

lovely :ok :ok :ok
beat :cool:

rhino
<1100
<1100
Been thanked: 0

Post by rhino » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 pm

:shock: fantastic job :thumb

2manyrides
>580
>580
Flag: United States of America

Post by 2manyrides » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:41 am

Why Gee wiz, I have never recieved so many compliments from the forum members, never 2many!
Thank you all!
I go out to the garage just to look at it!
Looks like a new bike in a way.

I pity the regular blue tank as it may not go back on for a long time. It may need prep for "dry dock"

But yes, this was patience. Was done over an extended period. At least there was no rush to finish until the last days. Then...I was tired of it!

How 'bout a few more looks?
tw side left.jpg
tw side right.jpg
72 B50SS bought in 74, I'm the second owner
74 TR5MX bought in 77-new, I'm the original owner

Which one to ride today?