Eckington Motorcycle Day.

Moderator: minetymenace

lathejack
>180
>180

Eckington Motorcycle Day.

Post by lathejack »

Around mid September this year I rode my Victor over to Eckington, which is a town about seven miles from me. They have a Motorcycle Day every year to honour the towns motorcycle trader and former sidecar racer, the late Charles Freeman and his race partner Billie Nelson.

Throughout the 1980's I bought several bikes from Freemans, including a couple of Bonnevilles and a Trident. The first I bought from him was the bike I had yearned for and drooled over for years as a schoolboy, the T140 Bonnie.
The memory, emotions and sensations are all still crystal clear of the day in 1983, aged just 18, that I picked up and vibrated my way home on a gleaming low mileage 1979 UK spec T140E.
BKW 167T is still out there somewhere.

I estimate at least 150 bikes turned up on the day, probably many more, and a lot of them were British. They were spread through the pedestrianised town centre and along surrounding streets, with bikes on display inside some of the shops, a Norton parked inside a card shop for instance.
image.jpg
A superb Commando graunches and clatters alarmingly as the starter button is pressed! But before the starter gears come bursting out of the primary cover like bullets it eventually fires up and then runs sweetly.
image.jpg
There were three other BSA Unit Singles there, two of which were Starfires fitted with B40 engines.
Also a pre OIF Fleetstar that the elderly rider had owned for 48 years.
But for some reason I only got a photo of this B40 powered Starfire.
image.jpg
And also my B25T Victor, a sweet running and trouble free bike it has proved to be, especially since fitting a Mikuni carb.This is also the first time in 26 years that I have returned to Eckington town centre on a motorcycle since my biking days ended in 92, when I sold a GT750 Kettle back to Charlie Freeman that I originaly bought from him.
image.jpg
Last edited by lathejack on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beat
>1400
>1400

Re: Eckington Motorcycle Day.

Post by beat »

:thumb :thumb :thumb

beat :cool:
Ian Hingley
>1400
>1400

Post by Ian Hingley »

lathejack wrote:...I rode my Victor over to Eckington
Hey lathejack! My great-grandad was from Eckington! My Grandad and Dad were from Staveley and I lived my first 18 years in Tupton, south of Chesterfield. So all pretty close.

Charles Freeman Motorcycles. I remember them! Didn't they have a place in Chesterfield? Stirring the memory cells now -Bill Lomas and Eric Houseley in Clay Cross, Mick Bridge, Wraggs Motorcycles, Chatsworth Road Motorcycles, Nippon in Chesterfield. Spent to much time and money in each of those...

Cheers

Ian
66 BSA Victor Enduro, 72 BSA Lightning, 62 BSA B40 trials, 2015 Truimph Street Twin, 89 H*nda Bros 650, 2000 Aprilia Moto 6.5 Starck
lathejack
>180
>180

Post by lathejack »

Hi Ian.

You're right, Charlie Freeman did also have a shop in Chesterfield that I think was run by his brother. I visited it only once or twice, the Eckington shop was my main destination for bikes most weekends.
The site of the shop is still there but has been redeveloped. The courtyard remains, now with an arch over the entrance and is called Freemans Court.

A beautiful 1922 BSA V twin, the front plate states a BHP/Litre figure that puts it in a different league!
image.jpg
Much is made nowerdays of a bikes patina, such as this ancient Ralliegh. The two gents stood either side of it also had a patina to match the bike.
image.jpg
Another gem from Armoury Road.
image.jpg
beat
>1400
>1400

Post by beat »

:roll: :lol: :cool: :lol: