Best fork gaiters

Here you can talk about all kind of TECH for the B50 B44 B25 And Other BSA unit Singles

Moderator: minetymenace

pbrosnan
>20
>20

Best fork gaiters

Post by pbrosnan »

HI all,

My fork gaiters are falling apart ... again. I think they're just some generic type that I bought from one of the online vintage British bike sites. A mate of mine reckons that I should be able to find a 'better' and possibly more 'authentic' product. Is he right? My view is that these types of consumables are all made ion a big factory in China. Any thoughts?
cheers
Patrick
------------------
1970 B44SS
1972 T500
minetymenace
Gerry1
Gerry1

Re: Best fork gaiters

Post by minetymenace »

Have you seen this?
There is no evidence to support the notion that life is serious.
Abyssinian Wire-Haired Tripehounds Gnash.
lathejack
>180
>180

Post by lathejack »

I recently bought some of the Wassell heavy duty fork gaitors, although I haven't fitted them yet.
These are for my Starfire.
image.jpg
This shows the Wassell item on the left, and the cheaper unbranded item on the right. The Wassell gaitors are thicker and slightly harder rubber, and claim to have a higher natural rubber content.
The cheaper unbranded gaitor on the right is so thin and soft it won't stand up, and to stop it flopping over it needs support from the Wassell item.
image.jpg
These next two gaitors are for the later OIF forks, Wassell item on the left and slightly cheaper unbranded item on the right. There's not much difference between them this time, but the Wassell gaitors are slightly firmer rubber.
image.jpg
kommando
>1400
>1400

Post by kommando »

If the gaitors have a white powdery deposit on them chances are they are the better ones, it's a mould release agent.
Jeff K
>1400
>1400

Post by Jeff K »

minetymenace wrote:Have you seen this?
I noticed that my posts on that one were two years ago. I checked on the couple of pairs that I still have on the shelf and they are still in the package and still "good". And yet when I used one of the sets on the B40 project years back. They "rotted" away to a stack of rubber washers in a few months. So I would guess it is either the sunshine, and this bike is not kept outside or it is the ozone in the air that destroys these fast.
Jeff